Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice please, first time opening with new liner using BBB method

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Advice please, first time opening with new liner using BBB method

New liner just installed. Where do I begin? Is there any point in testing water first or just start adding bleach, etc based on poolmath? Obviously there is no chlorine yet. I have been using BBB method but not with new liner install. I have a TF-100 test kit. Thanks!
    24,000 gal oval IG pool apr 20 years old, new vinyl liner May 2015, Hayward pump, sand filter with top mounted multivalve apr 10 years old, 1 speed booster pump (replaced in fall 2011), Polaris 380 suction side cleaner, chlorinator puck dispenser - rarely used

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice please, first time opening with new liner using BBB method

It is always good to start with test results. But we know that the CYA is 0 and we know that the FC is likely 0 (unless you have some in the tap water). So you could add 2ppm of FC and get the CYA dissolving before you test. You do want to check and adjust the pH, TA, and check the CH if even for reference of where you started.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK test results:

FC 0
    CC 0
    TA 30
    CYA 0
    PH 7.5

It looks like I have some work to do. What are your thoughts on using the tablets to add CYA instead of buying stabilizer? I just have some on hand - Aquachem Tabs Plus
    24,000 gal oval IG pool apr 20 years old, new vinyl liner May 2015, Hayward pump, sand filter with top mounted multivalve apr 10 years old, 1 speed booster pump (replaced in fall 2011), Polaris 380 suction side cleaner, chlorinator puck dispenser - rarely used

4. Back To Top    #4

You can use tablets ... they are just slow to add the FC and CYA.
    If you are going to use them, since they are acidic, you should raise your TA up to around 100ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Start by raising your TA, up to around 80 for liquid chlorine/bleach, or 120 if you are going to use tablets.

Tablets have pros and cons, usually the cons outweigh the pros. I would save them for when you are going to be away from the pool for a few days. Tablets raise CYA very slowly, so you need at least some CYA to start out with either way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to be clear. I will go ahead and add tablets to dispenser, then raise TA. Should I add the 72oz bleach recommended by calculator since tablets take a while?

7. Back To Top    #7

OK got it. Forget the tablets! Raise TA to 80, then add bleach and go get some stabilizer. Sound good? Thanks for everything.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JennB View Post
    OK got it. Forget the tablets! Raise TA to 80, then add bleach and go get some stabilizer. Sound good? Thanks for everything.
    This is certainly the easier to understand path forward. The tablets just do too many things and can get confusing. Holding them for a vacation is a good idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes I agree. I still have some pre-bbb method thoughts that need to be eradicated from my brain...

Last question, I promise...maybe Should I add half the amount of baking soda at a time since it's a big increase? If so, what is waiting time to retest and add the rest?

10. Back To Top    #10

That would be a prudent plan. Give it at least 30 minutes to circulate and then you should be able to retest.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Perfect, thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

Updated test results today

FC 4
    CC 0
    TA 70
    CYA 28 - ignoring for now, since stabilizer was added yesterday
    PH 7.4

I could easily shoot for perfection, but my gut tells me to hold tight until I retest CYA in a few days. Thoughts?

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks fine. I would might bump up the FC by 1ppm so it does not drop too low by tomorrow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Done. I must say how nice it is to get out a measuring cup for bleach. Last year I never had that experience!

15. Back To Top    #15

Sorry I missed you coming on Jenn. It sure sounds like you have it going your way.

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem