Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on getting a new filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on getting a new filter

I am looking for a little advice on possibly getting a new filter for my 18x48 Ultra Frame Intex Pool which holds 6423 gallons of water. I am currently using the pump it came with which is a Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1500gpm. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I was wondering if a sand filter is a better choice or stick with the cartridge filter. I want to be able to use a normal vacuum and hook it right up to the filter so it would have to be powerful enough for that. Last year I had issues with green and I'm thinking if my filter was better I wouldn't have that issue. Granted I did learn I wasn't running it long enough so that mistake was rectified. It's just about time to put it up so I'd like to get everything needed ASAP. Thank you!
    18x48 ultra frame AG Intex pool 6423 gallons
    Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Model SF70110
    Test kit - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on getting a new filter

Many many members find that the Intex 2500(? ... I may have the number wrong) sand filter/pump combo is a HUGE improvement over the smaller cartridge setups.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, algae has NOTHING to do with your filter. It is a chemistry problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I have the Krystal Clear 2800 gph .75 hp and love it. They make a 3000 gph that may be more suitable for you size pool. I got mine on Amazon.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the advice. I will look into both of those.
    18x48 ultra frame AG Intex pool 6423 gallons
    Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Model SF70110
    Test kit - TF-100