Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    My free chlorine was a little too low (running between 3-5) instead of 7 for this past week. Yesterday I noticed a couple small algae deposits which can't be brushed off. My combined chlorine has climbed from 0.2 to 0.4 today.

    I brought my free chlorine back into the recommended range and combined chlorine is still below the SLAM threshold (it's been between 0 - 0.2 until now).

    Does the visible presence of any algae mean you must SLAM immediately? Or can I maintain a FC of 7 and let the chlorine gradually do its work?

    I also realized yesterday that I've been breaking another rule too. I've been adding acid and bleach too closely together. This is a big no no, I guess? If I have to adjust pH, I usually add a small amount of acid in front of each return (with the pump running). Then I wait for approximately 5 minutes before repeating the same process with the bleach. Why is this such a bad thing? I don't smell any gas forming when I do it this way and I figured that the acid had enough time to dilute before adding the bleach. Am I wrong?
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    8,995

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    What color is the algae that you "can't brush off"? Easier, quicker, and cheaper to SLAM it sooner rather than later. You might try a "puck" on top of those spots to see if it helps any first. Just rub it around. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler View Post
    My FC chlorine was a little too low (running between 3-5) instead of 7 for this past week. Yesterday I noticed a couple small algae deposits which can't be brushed off. My combined chlorine has climbed from 0.2 to 0.4 today.

    I brought my free chlorine back into the recommended range and combined chlorine is still below the SLAM threshold (it's been between 0 - 0.2 until now).

    Does the visible presence of any algae mean you must SLAM immediately? Or can I maintain a FC of 7 and let the chlorine gradually do its work?

    I also realized yesterday that I've been breaking another rule too. I've been adding acid and bleach too closely together. This is a big no no, I guess? If I have to adjust pH, I usually add a small amount of acid in front of each return (with the pump running). Then I wait for approximately 5 minutes before repeating the same process with the bleach. Why is this such a bad thing? I don't smell any gas forming when I do it this way and I figured that the acid had enough time to dilute before adding the bleach. Am I wrong?
    Algae = SLAM

    While you may have had no problems with adding chemicals too closely together in the past you never know what the future brings. It is just good practice to spread the additions out more.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  4. Back To Top    #4
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    The algae is kind of brownish and forms on rough spots and cracked areas of the pool (in total about 4 trouble spots in my pool). I guess it's time to SLAM.

    Thanks, lesson learned!
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Welcome to TFP!!!

    You certainly never want to mix the acid and bleach together, but once they hit the water and are mixed, there is very little if any danger of a problem even with only 5 minutes between them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    If it's brown and will not brush off, I am not so sure that's algae. Hold on the slam a bit and post a pic if you can.

    Is it rough to the touch?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  7. Back To Top    #7
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    If it's brown and will not brush off, I am not so sure that's algae. Hold on the slam a bit and post a pic if you can.

    Is it rough to the touch?
    Too late! I added two 121 oz jugs of 8.25% Clorox. My FC is now at 23.5 and CC is 0.5. I'm pretty sure I have a little algae, just not a full blown bloom (yet). I also noticed a slight haze of green algae clinging to my Hayward pool vac yesterday.

    The spots don't seem rough to touch. However, the spots tend to form wherever the plaster is rough like over cracks or protuberances. Unfortunately, these photos arenít much to look at - the tea colored discoloration is more apparent to the naked eye.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwh...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwh...ew?usp=sharing
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

  8. Back To Top    #8
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Great, thanks! I guess it makes sense to wait for the pH to stabilize before I add the chlorine anyway. But sometimes I am in a hurry!
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

  9. Back To Top    #9

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    That's not algae, I am almost certain. Looks like iron stains but that is very unusual to have them that size.

    To test for iron stains, crush up several CHEAP Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and then hold them against the stain for 2-3 minutes. If it's iron, stain will lighten noticeably or go away.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  10. Back To Top    #10
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    That's not algae, I am almost certain. Looks like iron stains but that is very unusual to have them that size.

    To test for iron stains, crush up several CHEAP Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and then hold them against the stain for 2-3 minutes. If it's iron, stain will lighten noticeably or go away.
    I will give it a try. Supposedly my iron and copper are 0 (per the tests from the pool store), but who knows. If vitamin C works I will be a happy camper.
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

  11. Back To Top    #11

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    I have some iron stains in my pool and my iron test consistently says I have zero iron. I can't decide if that's because the iron has all precipitated onto the pool surface or the test is bogus at some very low level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  12. Back To Top    #12
    blueheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Colleyville, TX
    Posts
    9

    Re: Just a few tiny spots - CC still under 0.5 - time to SLAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I have some iron stains in my pool and my iron test consistently says I have zero iron. I can't decide if that's because the iron has all precipitated onto the pool surface or the test is bogus at some very low level.
    FYI I think my stains are calcium related. We have etching around the pool and a few calcium nodules (like little stalagmites). Each of the stains surround a calcium nodule. After researching TFP site some more I feel better. Originally, I thought the nodules were formed by letting the water get too far out of balance, but it sounds like instead my plaster is delaminating (probably a shoddy job to begin with). I can sand away the nodules and most of the staining with a pool blok pumice stone. Not good news, but at least it wasn't my fault!
    10K gal - IG - plaster - DE - Nautilus NS 48 - AO Smith 1hp
    CH 250 / FC 4.0 / CC 0.2 / pH 7.2 / TA 60 / CYA 30 (taylor k-2006 kit)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •