Help- Foreclosure in-ground pool - Have dirt,,leave, worms, etc.

sxch12

May 5, 2015
Novi MI
I just bought a house with an in-ground pool with vinyl liner. I have never had a pool and need lots of help. I'm in Novi Michigan. The pool size is 17'9" x 36' (3'10" for stairs)
1) The mesh safety cover was cut where the ladder is located. We can use a standard rectangular 20' x 40' safety cover. Where can I get it fixed that won't cost me a fortune or the same cost as a new one? Or can I get one that will not be expensive?
2) We opened the pool to find dirt, leaves, worms, possibly frogs, and who know what else. I can see the bottom of the pool and the water is green. What tools can I buy to clean the bottom? Please be specific since I know nothing about pools or links works too.
3) The pvc pipes to the hayword sand filter and such have cracks so I need to re attach pipes? I've primed/glued shcedule 40 pipes in the house. Is it the same? I need some guidance on plumbing it properly. Also have a heater and want to make sure I connect it properly to it. I haven't tested the boiler and don't know how to test it properly. So so I first attach all the pipes before I can test the heater? Are there diagrams on how to attach all these together properly and what kind of valves I need and what size?
4) The pool was not winterized at all so how do I test to see if there are leaks/broken pipe in the ground? And if there are cracks can it be fixed with out digging?
If I need a professional how do I find one that knows what they are doing and what would it cost?
Thank you!!!

As far as cleaning the bottom a leaf rake and leaf net should work fine to get the big stuff. Once that is gone then you can vacuume. Do you have a recommended test kit? If not, please order one. There is a link in my signature. Add the XL option and get a speed stir too.

A leaf bag is a deep bag that fits on the end of an extendable pool pole. PVC is PVC is PVC. Cracked pipes means replace. Hard to test anything until system is all connected and running. Welcome to the forum.

You are probably going to be better off pressure testing all underground lines before you do much of anything else. If water was left in them due to no winterization then I can guarantee there will be broken pipes. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if that is the case you will be doing some digging

You are probably going to be better off pressure testing all underground lines before you do much of anything else. If water was left in them due to no winterization then I can guarantee there will be broken pipes. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if that is the case you will be doing some digging

How do I find a reputable company to do the testing or can I do this myself? I'm very handy but new to pools. Don't know what equipment I need and what I need to do to test. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.