Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fence question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi guys new to the forum, I have a question about my fence. My neighbor behind me has a stockade fence that is climbable and I also have a stockade fence that backs up to theres. My town requires 4 feet between my fence and there's, which is understandable being that a kid in the neighbors yard could climb there fence and jump over mine. I asked the inspector if I could install a wedge on the middle rail of my neighbors fence making it no longer climbable. The inspector said that would work, which I'm very pleased to hear. I am trying to find such a thing but can't. I found a site that I believe is from Australia that has what's caled an aris rail. Does this 45 degree wedge have some type of name or has any one ever had any experience with this situation? thanks

http://store.demak.com.au/wedge-rest...-paling-fence/

Here is a link to what I am looking to do

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fence question

Hi Kev,
    Welcome to TFP!

that looks like a nice product to prevent fence climbing. I would hope there is something like this available in the US. Afraid I dont know what that is called though.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Worse comes to worse I might just have to rip a bunch of rails on a 45

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Kev, Welcome.

Interesting, I don't see how this would make a fence unclimbable. Maybe a 5 year old wouldn't be able to get over but any pre-teen or above would certainly be able to get over that with ease. That wooden wedge only would make it harder to stand on the fence, but if you can get a grip on the top of the fencing and pull yourself up you don't need much traction to get over. Not to mention that you could still stick your shoe between the post and the wooden wedge and get traction enough to get over. In my youth I climbed the flat edge of 6' privacy fences and there was nothing to have footing on on that side.

On a side note: Typically this is why you want the flat side out on any type of privacy fence. Yes the inside with the bars looks less "clean" from your view but the fence is harder to climb from the outside and deters that behavior, although it doesn't stop it!
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kevgle4587 View Post
    Worse comes to worse I might just have to rip a bunch of rails on a 45
    That's what I would do. Seems simple enough. As mentioned, not sure that wedge can stop any climbing though. One thing here, what if your neighbor says no, "I do not want you to add anything to my fence".
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought it was the 120 pound dog on the inside of the fence that deters climbing it
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Got two big dogs already. I agree the fence would still be climbable. But a four foot chain link fence is probably the easiest fence out there to climb and those are allowed around pools. I do have the good side of my fence facing out but so do my neighbors, with only about less then one foot between fences. I really hopen my neighbors are ok with it or even just letting me take there fences down as mine is brand new and there's is pretty old.

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess it is too bad that you can't just put some razor wire across the top and be done with the issue, but I guess that would bring up other liability issues.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

With access to the right equipment you could make those yourself. The main function is too keep the young ones who think they can swim (but can't) from drowning in your pool. The pre-teen to teen group tend to scale any fence or gate they see fit, if it's in their way of what they want to do.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks your right, any fence is climbable when your a teenager . I was very happy to hear this was an option and I would not need a second fence around the pool

11. Back To Top    #11

Another suggestion would be to install a pvc fence because both sides are the same.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

12. Back To Top    #12

There is two fences back to back mine is brand new less then a year old I'm not trying to spend more on a new fence

13. Back To Top    #13

It is an interesting dilemma you are facing. I am curious to know how it turns out! Best of luck to you!
    16'x35' Gunite/Marsite Kidney shaped 12500 Gal,Old (read Original) Sta-Rite TXC-75 75sqft Cartridge (Now a Single cartridge replacement, used to be two separate carts one 50sqft and one 25sqft stacked), Built with the house in 1989