New Pool Owner

May 4, 2015
Waterloo, Ontario
Just wanted to say that this forum rocks, we bought the house last year in the summer 18x36 8' deep and everything was running great when we bought but now for my first pool opening.

Everything went well with the exception that I forgot to install the bleeder valve on the filter fo some reason it was off when they closed the pool and i had trouble finding it in the pool house. Before I knew it 120gpm were ripping across the room ! :eek:

I also Installed a new Sta-rite intellipro VS, upgrade from a 17 year old FOXX pools pump. I used tigerflex pvc and there was a small pin hole in the pipe blow out water, patched it so i am good now however I think I might cut the tigerflex out and hard plumb the discharge pvc as it is more rigid. The tigerflex moves like crazy on high speed. LOVE THE PUMP !

So for my first opening I was fairly happy...with a few ohhh hecks in between.

So had everything running over the weekend and noticed a few more things, I have a Pentair Sand Dollar 80, i heard alot of swooshing in the valve and noticed sand in the bottom of the pool close to the jets. After reading on this forum I believe i need to change my sand in the filter which looks fairly easy to do, but I have a question, could my pump be too powerful on high speed for my filter and destroy the valve or is this swooshing sound (almost like air, and I have no leaks) just because the filter sand needs changing and could have air pockets inside ? Also is there a max pressure for this filter ? I couldn't find anything.

Now for the last thing I need to fix, noticed my heater was not operating, old Pentair Minimax Plus 250m.
After reading a lot I disconnected and cleaned all of my connectors, removed my burners and found that the pilot generator wire insulation were all burned and touching each other, I also wire brushed the sensor and got er nice and clean. My thermal cutoff - fusible link was also melted pretty bad and I think the resistor is shot. put everything back together and she fired right up. I had the unit running for a while and started tucking the wires away....poof she went out right when I touched the generator or the fusible link wires...pilot goes out too. I can get it going by playing around with them but I think its save to say i need to replace these items...Does anyone have a good place to buy old pentair heater parts, checked fleabay but shipping was ridiculous....hoping for a Canadian vendor but a US vendor with reasonable shipping rate will be fine too.

Thanks so much....I love this forum !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.