Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leslies Pool Store

1. Back To Top    #1

Leslies Pool Store

I just thought I would share this experience from Leslies Pool store, which is local to me. I have a TF 100 test kit and use it accordingly. Having said that I occasionally double check with the test strips just to see what results they offer. So ......, I went into the store asking for the Aquachek strips and the salesman states they only have Leslies own brand. He further claims that I will not find the Aquachek strips anymore because they were bought out by another company. I didn't purchase the strips and went to another store. This store was loaded with the Aquachek and I asked him if they were bought out etc.. He said no, and that he has plenty of stock on the Aquachek.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leslies Pool Store

Those are a HACH product and they have not been bought out. I don't know if they have sold the name to someone but I doubt it. Just curious, why would you want to check your results with strips? Your kit is reliable, trust your results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! A pool store employee giving out bad information to make a sale......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I do trust the kit. I must admit every now and again, I use the strips only for a quick test and off to work, or to the kids softball games etc.... When things settle down, I use the TF100.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

The problem with strips is that many time no chlorine and high chlorine show up,the same way on strips. For a quick test & go I use the OTO test. Almost as quick as strips.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

OK thx !

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! A pool store employee giving out bad information to make a sale......
    Can't be! Never happens. I can honestly say that I have never received bad information from any employee of Leslie's pool. Maybe because I have never bought anything there!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Can't be! Never happens. I can honestly say that I have never received bad information from any employee of Leslie's pool. Maybe because I have never bought anything there!
    Haha, And I have to be honest here, As soon as the salesman came over, my first thought was "Here we go". He just gave me that feeling immediately.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool store employees are a source of misinformation about everything. I wouldn't expect them to know what day it is. I deal with Leslies and found that they don't even know where their store stock is located.
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

10. Back To Top    #10

Only been to Leslies once for some Metal-out because of not wanting to wait a week for it to ship to me. Looked around for a little and paid 30 bucks for something i could have ordered from the internet for 20 bucks if i was to wait for it. Keeping people on the chemical merry-go-round must be the main way they stay open because the price of almost everything in the store is 25 to 33% mark up from internet prices. Can't see many people paying that much mark-up.

I have some Aquachek 6 way strips that are always in a cool dry place except when using them for testing water. Have found them to read FC, Ph and CYA in line with the TF-100. The TC is pretty useless reading and the CH is useless because it reads 250 then 1000 as the next step which isn't any help if you riding around the magic 400 mark. Have found the TA reading consistency to be 10 to 20 high and CC just isn't sensitive enough to read low levels of CC. Yes, i too use them in a rush. Mostly to keep an eye on my ever rising Ph which there is no need to break out the whole kit when the strips read the same Ph.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir