New SW Austin Pool Build

Yes, I was wondering what happened with your slope issue? It looks as though it was corrected/changed. Or still in the process? The pool is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The foreman came out with some guys to look at the slope today, because I told him the "fix" they put in last week was off. We pulled out the string line/4' level/etc. to get an accurate measurement, since we obviously disagreed about it. He had said it was about an inch, I said it was 4 inches and it turned out to be right at 3 inches.

So we were both wrong, but I was more right. They used some concrete bonding stuff and laid down a patch that started about 18 inches above the end slope line and ended 2 feet past the slope line. It looks ugly now, but the slope is now fixed.

They're supposed to tear up the rest of the porch Monday and pour concrete Tues or Wed, weather allowing, then put the fences back up and get inspected. If everything goes right with that, we can do the Wetedge on Friday. I'm not holding my breath on that though, so I expect them to do the Wetedge probably on the 20th or 21st.

If we can get water in the pool and everything checked out that week, I'll slide just under the 4 month mark for this whole debacle. JFC.

IMG_20150703_180656.jpg

IMG_20150703_180713.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it used to look like the bottom line, now it looks almost like the top original design spec.

While 3 inches out of a 36 foot pool may not sound like a lot, it threw off the whole slope of the shallow end.

pool%20slope%206-24-15_zpsogi3x9pm.png

That's awesome! I want you on my team!!! You HAD to get that fixed. It may not have been a mechanical issue, but something like slope affects the everyday enjoyment of the pool. It may look ugly now, but it's right. I'm just sorry you had to go through what you did to have it done the way it should have been done in the first place. Once the plaster is complete, it will be beautiful with that ugly spot long gone.

So, obviously you're getting closer to the end, but are you guys like us in that waiting seems to be harder the closer you get?? I can hardly focus on things around the home for being so antsy to have the build finished!

Take care. Suz.

Yes, that looks so much better. I agree that you did the right thing in insisting that they repair/correct the issue. This pool building is a lengthy process. It's really difficult to know when to complain.

whelp, more delays. Again. They finally came out Tuesday to pour concrete for the deck...and they poured it. Evidently anyone not named "foreman" doesn't do any thinking on their own, they just keep building/pouring/smashing/etc til they think the job is done.

In this case, they poured all of the deck. I'm guessing there wasn't any measuring going on beforehand, like maybe to see if the new deck/old deck/coping were on the same level. So this was the result:

IMG_20150708_204808.jpg

IMG_20150708_204821.jpg

IMG_20150708_204907.jpg

I saw it this morning and thought maybe my foreman had foreseen this and there was some magic leveling stuff he was gonna lay on top. He comes over at 4pm today, sees the patio and starts barking loudly in spanish at the guys there while dialing someone. I came out and he just says "I know, I saw it".

So now their plan is to cut down the line right in front of the big step to level it all out. The way he described it made sense, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Anyway, thats another 2-3 day delay. When the deck is done, they will put up the fence and call in an inspection. If we pass and if they don't demand another property survey (since I'm at 44.5% for impervious coverage), he says they can do the KoolCrete and WetEdge Monday/Tuesday. I don't believe that for a sec, so I'm betting WetEdge on Thursday/Friday.

If they demand a 2nd survey, then I have to call my survey co., who want $650 for a survey with impervious coverage. Then if that shows to be under 45%, we can get a 2nd inspection and do the deck spray/plaster after. So late July.

If we have to do a 2nd survey and they determine I'm over 45% impervious, then they have to chop up strips off my driveway to free up impervious coverage. In that case, we're looking at August to finish.

So tired of this.

I did get the diving board bolts set and pointing in the right direction. I had to keep moving them around constantly in the concrete to keep them lined up. They were tied to the rebar, but the rebar wasn't level. The deck guys didn't really care, since they weren't providing the board. Not their job.

Oh, forgot about that part. On Monday, prepping for the diving board jig to get set in concrete, I took the bolts off the used board I bought on craigslist in April and discovered some of the wood was rotted underneath. That was a waste of money.

Luckily, I bought an SR Smith Flyte Deck II mount from the same guy had that was brand new for $200, so I just needed a board. I ordered one from "In the Swim Pool Supplies". The board, plus tax and 2 day shipping was $301, which is way cheap.

So that's sitting out back, along with my Dolphin Oasis Z5, just waiting for water.

:roll: Does anyone take any pride in their work any more??? I am so sorry that this happened. "What? You want me to think AND work?"

I hope the "shaving" of the high part works. I would have to be standing right there to make sure they take care by the house! The PM needs to be there also! They workers have already shown they do not care so..............

HUGS :(

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
whelp, more delays. Again. They finally came out Tuesday to pour concrete for the deck...and they poured it. Evidently anyone not named "foreman" doesn't do any thinking on their own, they just keep building/pouring/smashing/etc til they think the job is done.

In this case, they poured all of the deck. I'm guessing there wasn't any measuring going on beforehand, like maybe to see if the new deck/old deck/coping were on the same level. So this was the result:

IMG_20150708_204808.jpg

I saw it this morning and thought maybe my foreman had foreseen this and there was some magic leveling stuff he was gonna lay on top. He comes over at 4pm today, sees the patio and starts barking loudly in spanish at the guys there while dialing someone. I came out and he just says "I know, I saw it".

So now their plan is to cut down the line right in front of the big step to level it all out. The way he described it made sense, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Any

It looked so bad, your dog couldn't even bear to look at it. Smart dog. Ugh. Glad to hear the PB acknowledged the mistake, even though it will require time to fix it.

Well the deck mess is somewhat fixed now. They chipped out all the sloped parts and filled it in to smooth it out. Spray deck will even out the rest. We're putting the fence back up today. It's only been down for 3 months, no big deal. My neighbor will be slightly less angry and my dogs will actually get to go out in the backyard unsupervised.

Poor you and your dogs----------no fence for 3 months??????? OUCH!

Glad they somewhat fixed it. What color of spray deck did you pick?

Kim

I was at the PB office on 7/3 asking about a concrete overlay and Danielle (my sales girl) talked me out of it. She says everyone she talks to that has had it for a while complains that it burns their feet or it's too slippery from all the puddling.

I told her the regular SprayDeck was a little plain, so she whipped out a new SprayDeck product that isn’t on their website yet; it’s got more texture and aggregates. It looks like this, but better in person.

sTSKFVYesthhiYYAfHlxfhpBb8DUkkrL9CcaQ8kXrI0=w776-h746-no

SprayDeck starts this morning and lasts till Wed. Hopefully the final CoA inspection passes on Thursday, WetEdge goes in Friday and I'm swimming Sunday.

lol. I'll go back with my original estimate of swimming on 7/25. Any time before that would be nice but not breath holding. Every single time my foreman tells me "X is moving along great. We'll be done with X on this date, then Y the next day, then Z and we're done" I add a week on. Oh, and I unboxed the new diving board I ordered (to replace the one I discovered was rotted) and oops, they sent me the wrong one. The nice part is that the board they sent me costs $60 more than the one I ordered and I had actually considered ordering this board later (it's bouncier and goes on the Frontier II Jump Stand, which I already have). I called the place I ordered from and they're sending me out the right board, plus knocking $10 off.

More good news, as I finally found a landscape/fence/deck guy who wants to take my money. I had been given recs of two local "great landscape guys who did so and so's yard for almost nothing and they're very reliable".... neither showed up for a combined total of 5 appointments between the 2 of them. The last message I left for them was basically "Guys, do I really have to call 3 times to get you to actually come out so I can hand you money? It shouldn't be this hard. If you're too busy or don't think my job is worth your time, just say so and don't waste my time". No return calls from either since that.

Any way, I put an ad on NextDoor.com., which is basically like Facebook for neighborhoods. I got a bunch of recs, but one guy seemed highly motivated, spoke great English and showed up on time. When he came to the door, we both realized he used to do my yard about 8 years ago. Now he has his own company. Plus, he knows the sales guy at Lowe's who talked me in to opening a small business account and was supposed to hook me up with his friend who did decks/landscaping, but forgot to give me his number. Same guy. Small world.

Anyway, he said he could handle everything I needed (fix the front/side yard that the pool co. has torn up, fix my fence, install a new deck, landscape back yard with plants/grass, install new back fence, etc.) and had lots of good ideas. He said he'd get me a quote in a few hours and could start this week. He actually emailed me a quote in 2 hours that blew me away and he'll start on Wed. So I could be swimming with a new deck/fence/backyard in 10 days. Pics to come.

I had forgotten about that neat deck stuff! I hope it looks as good on as it does in the sample!

Yeah about adding a week. LOL

Landscape guys------Too funny about that last messg. Guess they don't need the money!

WONDERFUL about refinding the new guy! The quote within 2 HOURS??????? NOT 2 days or weeks??????? He is a keeper!

Looking forward to pics!

Kim

Just getting caught up on threads. Sorry you have had so many hiccups of late, but it sounds like everything is getting resolved now. I am so happy for you finding a good landscaper. I am struggling with that now. There are some pieces of the project they all are happy to bid on, and some that they don't want to do, so they conveniently don't quote those parts. Not to mention the wildly different opinions about what and how stuff needs to be done.

Anyway, I will be crossing my fingers for you that your inspection goes in your favor. It sounds like that would be a huge deal. Keep us posted.

I'm so happy you found someone reliable to do your yard. We have the same issue. Our fence guy is from our neighborhood. He's going to fix our fence Wednesday and Thursday. I'm sure the neighbors will be relieved. It was amazing how that landscaping /fence guy you found turned out to be the same one your Lowes guy was going to recommend! I'd say that was manifest destiny. (Not sure I remember what that means.
Good luck on the deck!
That's happening here tomorrow. It's so exciting to finally be getting towards the end where we can actually start thinking about cleanup and repair![emoji3]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.