New SW Austin Pool Build

I took my GSP down in the pool for probably the last time before water, since rebar is next. She tried to climb out through the gouge in the side/deck skimmer hole. It was pretty cute, because she got stuck there and tried to climb out through the same spot a bunch of times, even though she didn't come down that way and there was an easier spot to climb out a few feet to the left.

IMG_20150519_195740.jpg

Looking at my Aussie from 9 feet down. He had no interest in climbing down there.

IMG_20150519_195712.jpg

Kevin, the foreman for TP&P, came out today to check the dig and make sure everything looked good. Oh, and he wanted some money. He said they would start rebar Thursday (I was pretty much right about nothing today).

I showed him the slide I bought and asked if we could tap into one of the returns on the west side (where my deck is going). He said no, let's just run a separate 1" line from the pump with a shutoff valve. That was what I really wanted anyway so I'm glad he was cool with it. He's been really flexible about other stuff, so I'm trying not to dump too many changes/additions on him.

He said they were really backed up due to the rain and how lucky I was because of all the rock I had. He said some of the other builds that were 100% dirt had collapsed, forcing them to tear out all the rebar and start over. So I have that at least.

Yes, that rock means you will slip to the front of the line with all this rain and slumping dirt holes they are digging.
They can be certain the steel won't have to be pulled out, so nothing to hold them back in that regard.
You won't have to bite your nails between no and gunite cause you have a stable hole. (Not sure that came out right, filthy mind I guess)

Regarding the slide water return, you would not have been happy with the flow rate if you tapped into the regular return line. Sounds like your PB is looking after you.

Look forward to seeing it shot.

Well no one showed up Thursday to do rebar. It was cloudy and dark, but no rain at my house. I figured since it was raining in other parts of Austin, they just told everyone to stay home. I get out of bed at noon today and see no rain and no workers. That's about all I can take, so I texted the foreman. I'm not some anal retentive worrywart who is constantly on the phone with the PB over every minute detail, but seeing less than 8 hours of work done during a week with no measurable rainfall in my backyard is unacceptable.

He replied back 5 hours later that "maybe, if it's not raining too hard Saturday, we'll get some guys out there".....as if it had been pouring down every day this week and I just want people to work in the rain.

So annoying. The fact that my dig is in zero danger of collapsing should put me at the top of the rebar list, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

No one showed up Saturday either, despite the fact it didn't start raining until 2:30pm. This pool could have most of the rebar and plumbing done if they had bothered to come out during the 4 days it was overcast.

Now I have this, which will mean more delays, especially since they never even threw down a single piece of rebar.

IMG_20150524_202729.jpg

No show on Saturday. The only communication was a text on Friday saying they would come Saturday if there was light rain. It didn't start raining until 2:30pm, but they didn't show up in the morning or communicate anything to me. If they had even showed up for an hour we could have saved a day, since they could have left some sump pumps. Instead they show up at noon today to start pumping. They came back a few hours later because they realized one pump wasn't gonna cut it. It was about half finished when they came back and adding on 2 extra pumps drained it in 2 hours flat. They come back tomorrow, to finally, finally, start rebar.

Noon. Half full, probably 13k gallons.

IMG_20150526_123228.jpg

After 4 hours on 1 pump. They just dropped the other 2 in.

IMG_20150526_165007.jpg

Flooded yard

IMG_20150526_165028.jpg

IMG_20150526_165059.jpg

2 hours after the extra pumps were dropped in.

IMG_20150526_182130.jpg

15 minutes after that

IMG_20150526_190930.jpg

Now I need ZERO rain. Please go away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh Mah Gawd...the rebar is done!!! I have been waiting for this day since the first week of excavation. Hearing them jackhammer rock for 10 hours straight every day drives you nuts and makes you very unpopular in the neighborhood.

The plumbing starts tomorrow (NO RAIN) and all the equipment has been delivered. We are actually moving this dead horse.

Here's a video of the build/yard/massive greenbelt flooding right behind me. The area you see with all the rushing water is dry 99.9% of the time. Kids and dogs play there.

Flash flood 5-27-15 - YouTube

IMG_20150527_173755.jpg

IMG_20150527_173539.jpg

The horse is ALIVE! Congratulations! It's been a hard wait. Hopefully now maybe things will keep rolling.

I watched your video. Fascinating and frightening to see and hear. It's hard to imagine that much water coming when it's normally dry there. We have the same thing here with our Cypress Creek. It's never a trickle (at least by me), but the watershed area is enormous. Always a little shocking to see it spread out over the watershed. Thanks for sharing the video. Again, I always love seeing the dogs! Take care and keep safe. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.