who pays for this? pb wasn't clear and it's not in the contract-causing delays

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
was supposed to have dig done last week. now everything is on hold since the super came out and said the pool will need to be raised 6-8 inches on one side, the side where our small deck/patio will be. it's a tricky spot and we now have to consider building a retaining wall, having a step up into the pool, or raising the patio 6-8 inches. if we raise the patio we are almost a head above the block wall to look into the neighbor's yard so that's not my first choice. i was starting to settle on the step-up as it can sometimes be pretty and it could be unique, although many have told me it'll be a tripping hazard and some landscape folks have said they've never seen it or when they have they think it looks odd. we have 3 kids, 1 with adhd and 1 with high functioning autism so has some minor balance issue. the third option is the most $ and interferes with my design as far as planting and things but am having the super over tomorrow to see what's the minimum length we could do the retaining wall. they said 6 inches but at that point i'd prob consider doing it 16" to have a bench?

i called the city to talk with them about it last week and they said that a permit wasn't even pulled yet and since a raised pool wasn't in my contract they'd throw a fuss and make the pool company figure out how to make my pool ground level. called the registrar of contractors and his attitude was that things happen in construction and sometimes people miss things. the project manager/salesman insists me that we spoke about this but all he told me was that we had to do some minor grading of the yard. my impression was grading one side of the yard so water wouldn't run into the pool. he was never clear with me on the height of the grade-how could we berm 6-8 inches where the deck is to be and what that would mean for the deck.

he refuses to pay for this and i'm not sure if we should take it to his boss to explain the frustration of the delay it's caused going back and forth with them since the salesman keeps giving wrong info on the length of the retaining wall/options and was never clear before and the extra $1=-2/3k it's going to cost us now or just pay it considering we would've had to get it anyway and things happen to delay construction.

any thoughts appreciated. it's been a huge disappointment as we signed 1 1/2 mths ago already (some of the delay being my fault picking out materials...).

how often to extra things like this come up and when is a customer to pay it or ask that it be paid when it wasn't caught or explained well? thanku!

I say it's time to get the boss/owner involved. If the salesman says you talked about grade issues I would think the contract would have something about "retaining wall will be $XX per linear foot if necessary".

Unforseen issues almost always come up in construction projects. A good contractor can work through them with little impact to those involved.

So the pool needs to be raised 6-8 inches because the yard slopes down to the pool? Was the slope issue not addressed and priced into the contract? If not, and just because it wasn't addressed by the salesman, doesn't mean the cost is on him now. Of course, being professionals that should have stood out like a soar thumb.

How much yard are are we talking about? Sometimes solutions can be simple. If I understand the problem (pictures always help), then maybe some type of french drain, running along the length of the pool and between the patio and yard, would be the answer. The best part is they can be covered with landscape rock and plants.

You mentioned early on that you had grave reservations about going with this PB. It will be difficult if not impossible for us to help you resolve issues with them. I would really encourage you to work these out with them, or find another builder.

thanku. i had spoken to a few others and got the same responses: everyone has a different opinion. we had the super over to finally take a good look at the situation and have decided to raise the lower side of the pool and deck 3 inches and the higher part would be under ground 5 1/2 " or 6". we will do a small 8" "retaining wall" for part of 2 sides of the pool. we offered a compromise with some other money he was going to eat for mispricing some pavers and he was going to check on it. i don't know how hard we will press the issue. i have had mixed feelings about it. i don't want to change pbs since i think the salesman is more of the issue. i think the builders will do a good job and have a good warranty. they're not going anywhere so will be around for probs... kevreh, the french drain sounds like a great idea! i won't bother with pics for now since i think it's handeled. thanku!

Depending on how much yard is sloping towards it, that small 8" retaining wall may need drain pipe buried behind it so water doesn't collect and put pressure on it or possibly overflow during heavy rains. Check with you super.

We like pictures. It's nice to follow a build but especially helpful when the problem you are discussing is a grade issue.

Pictures are expected here at TFP, especially in the Construction Forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.