was supposed to have dig done last week. now everything is on hold since the super came out and said the pool will need to be raised 6-8 inches on one side, the side where our small deck/patio will be. it's a tricky spot and we now have to consider building a retaining wall, having a step up into the pool, or raising the patio 6-8 inches. if we raise the patio we are almost a head above the block wall to look into the neighbor's yard so that's not my first choice. i was starting to settle on the step-up as it can sometimes be pretty and it could be unique, although many have told me it'll be a tripping hazard and some landscape folks have said they've never seen it or when they have they think it looks odd. we have 3 kids, 1 with adhd and 1 with high functioning autism so has some minor balance issue. the third option is the most $ and interferes with my design as far as planting and things but am having the super over tomorrow to see what's the minimum length we could do the retaining wall. they said 6 inches but at that point i'd prob consider doing it 16" to have a bench?
i called the city to talk with them about it last week and they said that a permit wasn't even pulled yet and since a raised pool wasn't in my contract they'd throw a fuss and make the pool company figure out how to make my pool ground level. called the registrar of contractors and his attitude was that things happen in construction and sometimes people miss things. the project manager/salesman insists me that we spoke about this but all he told me was that we had to do some minor grading of the yard. my impression was grading one side of the yard so water wouldn't run into the pool. he was never clear with me on the height of the grade-how could we berm 6-8 inches where the deck is to be and what that would mean for the deck.
he refuses to pay for this and i'm not sure if we should take it to his boss to explain the frustration of the delay it's caused going back and forth with them since the salesman keeps giving wrong info on the length of the retaining wall/options and was never clear before and the extra $1=-2/3k it's going to cost us now or just pay it considering we would've had to get it anyway and things happen to delay construction.
any thoughts appreciated. it's been a huge disappointment as we signed 1 1/2 mths ago already (some of the delay being my fault picking out materials...).
how often to extra things like this come up and when is a customer to pay it or ask that it be paid when it wasn't caught or explained well? thanku!