Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Recommendation

Howdy! Well, swimming season is closing in on us here in Michigan, so I'm trying to plan ahead a bit.

Our Hayward Superpump was loud, albeit strong running, all last season. It had a lovely shrieking metal on metal type squeal to it, but continued to pump well.

Should I be looking at a whole new unit, a new motor, or what? I'd like to get something relatively energy efficient if I need to buy a new one. Our pool is about 30,000 gallons with 2 skimmers and 4 returns.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
    20x40 IGP w/ vinyl liner ~ approximately 30,000 gallons ~ Hayward 1.5hp pump ~ Hayward S244T Sand Filter ~ Hayward Gas Heater ~ 1 drain, 2 skimmers, 4 returns ~ Protect-A-Child Fence ~TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Recommendation

One of the best values would be to get a replacement two speed motor that will work with your existing pump. A two speed will use significantly less electricity than your existing motor and not cost too much, since you get to keep the existing wet end.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like a great idea. Any recommendation on brand? Would I have to use a Hayward motor?
    20x40 IGP w/ vinyl liner ~ approximately 30,000 gallons ~ Hayward 1.5hp pump ~ Hayward S244T Sand Filter ~ Hayward Gas Heater ~ 1 drain, 2 skimmers, 4 returns ~ Protect-A-Child Fence ~TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hayward does not make motors, they buy them from a handful of motor companies and have them custom painted. Commonly you will find A.O. Smith or Emerson motors on Hayward pumps, but there are others that will interchange.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, it sounds like I can't put a dual speed motor on my pump that was originally a single speed.

I can either replace the motor and shaft seal or spend a bit more and buy a whole new unit entirely. I want something as energy efficient as possible. I do run a heater part of the year.

What do y'all recommend?