TC 6
Calcium Hardness 100
CYA 99
TA 80
PH 7.4
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 200

I put Phosfree into pull three times now (i started with reading of about 800 phosphates). I have cleaned filter before and after and now am putting maintenance **** in it every week. Doesn't seem to help. I can't get rid of it. I'm ready to move and forget this freaking pool . Help!!
The pool math says remove 20% of pool water (earlier this year I removed 70 %). Also calcultor says add 355 oz of calcium chloride (really?). Will this make a difference in my algae??
Thanks

The key step is to get your CYA level down to something more reasonable. Most CYA tests will report any level above 100 as something around 100, so there is no telling just how high your CYA level really is.

I would skip the phosphate remover. It is expensive and not needed.

You do want to raise the calcium level. Otherwise you will be leaching calcium out of the plaster that is between the pebbles. But that is lower priority than the other issues.

How have you been chlorinating your pool?

Your signature says you have a TF100, but your numbers and the fact that you purchased Phosfree indicate you are still going to the pool store for testing?

Yes I panicked!! Went to the store!! You caught me. I also ran out of my cya testing fluid!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the FC suppose to be at?
I thought so....

At CYA 100 FC should NEVER be below 7, target 12 or a little above.

But, its too late for that now. You have to SLAM your pool, which is almost impossible at the levels of FC you would need. Plus, we are dealing with 100+ CYA, so as Jason said you need to drain water to get that CYA down.

Oh, don't forget to reorder your test kit supplies.

Looks like you need a good round of reading in some of the Pool School articles. Starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It's not practical to maintain proper FC or eliminate algae with CYA levels at 100 (or more, which I suspect it may be if you have not done a diluted water CYA test with a Taylor CYA test). IF your pool had no algae and the CYA were indeed 100, you would need to maintain a minimum of 7 FC at all times. NEVER below that. See Chlorine/CYA Chart. To eliminate an algae problem you would have to Shock Level and Maintain at 39 FC. You're much better off trying to eliminate algae starting with a much lower CYA level. See Defeating Algae and SLAM Procedure.

It's a lot to take in, but if your going to commit to proven TFP methods, you have to have a recommended test kit and a willingness to learn and stick to the methods detailed here, not pool store advice. Mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just another recipe for disaster.

Or, you can go back to the pool store (image compliments of aussieta)
WheelofFortune2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm lucky I found this site within a month or so of starting my pool. I had been under the care of a pool store, using choline tabs and shock, and to my good fortune I found this site before my CYA became too high.

I now rely on TFP exclusively for my maintenance tips, and get my chemicals at either the grocery store, Walmart, or Home Depot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.