TC 6
    Calcium Hardness 100
    CYA 99
    TA 80
    PH 7.4
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    Phosphates 200

I put Phosfree into pull three times now (i started with reading of about 800 phosphates). I have cleaned filter before and after and now am putting maintenance **** in it every week. Doesn't seem to help. I can't get rid of it. I'm ready to move and forget this freaking pool . Help!!
    The pool math says remove 20% of pool water (earlier this year I removed 70 %). Also calcultor says add 355 oz of calcium chloride (really?). Will this make a difference in my algae??
    Thanks
    Chris M. 20k, inground, defilter, pebbletek, 1hp motor,Tiger Shark QC (crappy pool cleaner), TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't keep algae gone for more than a day

The key step is to get your CYA level down to something more reasonable. Most CYA tests will report any level above 100 as something around 100, so there is no telling just how high your CYA level really is.

I would skip the phosphate remover. It is expensive and not needed.

You do want to raise the calcium level. Otherwise you will be leaching calcium out of the plaster that is between the pebbles. But that is lower priority than the other issues.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How have you been chlorinating your pool?

Your signature says you have a TF100, but your numbers and the fact that you purchased Phosfree indicate you are still going to the pool store for testing?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

If your tests and I mean the majority of tests are coming from the Taylor kits, your FC Is too low based off of your cya.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I panicked!! Went to the store!! You caught me. I also ran out of my cya testing fluid!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the FC suppose to be at?
    Chris M. 20k, inground, defilter, pebbletek, 1hp motor,Tiger Shark QC (crappy pool cleaner), TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chrismassod View Post
    Yes I panicked!! Went to the store!! You caught me. I also ran out of my cya testing fluid!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the FC suppose to be at?
    I thought so....

At CYA 100 FC should NEVER be below 7, target 12 or a little above.

But, its too late for that now. You have to SLAM your pool, which is almost impossible at the levels of FC you would need. Plus, we are dealing with 100+ CYA, so as Jason said you need to drain water to get that CYA down.

Oh, don't forget to reorder your test kit supplies.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. It's pretty close to 100 (cya) . so you think about 20-25 % of water?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chrismassod View Post
    Thank you. It's pretty close to 100 (cya) . so you think about 20-25 % of water?
    Probably close to 40% to get back to recommended levels.

I'm guessing 3" tabs and shock got you there?

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like you need a good round of reading in some of the Pool School articles. Starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It's not practical to maintain proper FC or eliminate algae with CYA levels at 100 (or more, which I suspect it may be if you have not done a diluted water CYA test with a Taylor CYA test). IF your pool had no algae and the CYA were indeed 100, you would need to maintain a minimum of 7 FC at all times. NEVER below that. See Chlorine/CYA Chart. To eliminate an algae problem you would have to Shock Level and Maintain at 39 FC. You're much better off trying to eliminate algae starting with a much lower CYA level. See Defeating Algae and SLAM Procedure.

It's a lot to take in, but if your going to commit to proven TFP methods, you have to have a recommended test kit and a willingness to learn and stick to the methods detailed here, not pool store advice. Mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just another recipe for disaster.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Or, you can go back to the pool store (image compliments of aussieta)

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah Yeah yeah I'm getn the pic

12. Back To Top    #12

i can't remember who originally made the wheel of fortune
    but i copied it from this site
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    i can't remember who originally made the wheel of fortune
    but i copied it from this site
    Well, I borrowed it from one of your posts.....

I know Richard uses it a lot. It may be his.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I believed Richard 320 is responsible for that graphic. He has posted many great ones on the forum......Barney Fife may have been my favorite.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I believed Richard 320 is responsible for that graphic. He has posted many great ones on the forum......Barney Fife may have been my favorite.
    I like his tanker truck.

16. Back To Top    #16

Can't keep algae gone for more than a day

I'm lucky I found this site within a month or so of starting my pool. I had been under the care of a pool store, using choline tabs and shock, and to my good fortune I found this site before my CYA became too high.

I now rely on TFP exclusively for my maintenance tips, and get my chemicals at either the grocery store, Walmart, or Home Depot.
    18 foot diameter, 52" tall above ground Cornelius pool, with vinyl liner, and resin wall caps.
    Roughly 7600 gallons
    Blue Wave "Sandman" Sand filter/pump, model NE6150. Pump is 1 HP
    Intex SWG, model # 54601E