Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need for CYA??

1. Back To Top    #1

Washington, Il

Need for CYA??

So I've already added enough CYA to up the amount to 10 (according to bottle directions) but it's still at 0. This is powder form. Regardless, all of my other readings have been in the right range for over 2 weeks straight (including CC below 0.5 and FC around 2-3) by adding about a gallon of bleach a day. WEather is still cool here in central IL. My question is this: if my pool is doing just fine without CYA at this point, why should I add any???
    40,000 gallons (20' x 40'); IG; vinyl liner
    sand filter
    BBB method for 2 full seasons
    tf100 test kit
    central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Need for CYA??

Well, the test starts at 30ppm, so not surprised you can not read a 10ppm level.

As the sun get more intense, you will start to lose more and more FC. I would bump it up to a level that you can actually test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

10 is too low to test. The test will only detect 30 and above.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

CYA levels below 20 often show up on the test as if they were zero.

Also, it can take up to a week for granular CYA to dissolve and show up on the test.

If CYA is too low you will loose most of your chlorine to sunlight each day, requiring more total chlorine to maintain a level. Of course you don't want CYA too high either.

For a regular outdoor pool we recommend CYA be between 30 and 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School