Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner/pump time=head spinning

1. Back To Top    #1

Chandler, AZ

New pool owner/pump time=head spinning

I am trying to calculate how long I should run my pool filter. I having difficulty finding the relevant information I need to figure this out. My pool is a free form pool so I'm having difficulty even coming up with an estimate on gallons. I'm attaching a pool shape pic i found online. I believe my pool most closely resembles the mountain pond shape in the jpg. It's about 30 feet long at the longest part and I believe about 15 feet wide in the middle. it's 3 feet deep on both ends and is about 5 feet in the middle. I've taken pics of my pump and the filter. I don't know which #s I should be paying attention to however. The filter #s are on a label that's been dry-rotted so not sure i'm seeing everything i should. I think the pipe to the skimmer is about 1 1/2 in diameter and the pump is about 30 feet from the skimmer. i have been researching on my own to try and figure this out but I just can't put the pieces together. Could really use some help. Previous owners had the pump running between 9PM-2AM but it's starting to warm up so I feel like I need to start running it longer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you guys!Cardinal Pool Shapes (emailed to us from Cardinal 3-25-13).jpgIMG_1160.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New pool owner/pump time=head spinning

Welcome to TFP!

Most residential pools only need about four hours of pump run time. You should be totally fine at five, and might be able to trim it down a little. That is fairly universal, so no need to do the insanely complicated flow rate calculation that you seem to be asking about.

You will want a reasonably good estimate of the pool volume. If you describe your pool shape and overall dimensions we can help you estimate that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Re: New pool owner/pump time=head spinning

Have you seen this: Determine Pump Run Time

Basically, start with 4 hours and work up or down from there.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon