Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

  1. Back To Top    #1
    *JLS*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Georgia
    Posts
    60

    Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    I'm hoping someone can help me be sure I'm understanding Pool Math correctly based on my info below. I've entered all of my test results and adjusted my goals according to Suggested Levels chart.

    - I see that I need to Increase CYA & TA.
    - Added salt just after testing.
    - Are my goals too high/low?
    - Is the water safe to swim at the current FC level until I can get the CYA up?
    - Is it necessary to increase CH? (vinyl liner)
    - CSI??? Is this high due to having more FC than what's recommended for my current CYA level? Should I be concerned about the current level?
    - Am I not concerned with Borates since the TF100 does not include a test for it?


    image.jpg
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    There is no reason to add calcium to a vinyl pool. Nor do you need to worry about CSI much, unless your CH gets way high on it's own.

    Otherwise your goal levels look fairly reasonable. I might go a little higher on salt, so it is still reasonable at the end of the season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    *JLS*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Georgia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There is no reason to add calcium to a vinyl pool. Nor do you need to worry about CSI much, unless your CH gets way high on it's own.

    Otherwise your goal levels look fairly reasonable. I might go a little higher on salt, so it is still reasonable at the end of the season.
    Thank you! And thank you for PoolMath - that's good stuff!
    I just read the thread about Borates (should have done that first) so I understand now why that's not necessary.
    What about the FC? Is that a safe level for swimming with such low CYA?

    Oh and how much higher would you suggest for salt?
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Yes, it's safe to swim up to the shock level which is FC 16 with 40 CYA
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  5. Back To Top    #5
    *JLS*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Georgia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Yes, it's safe to swim up to the shock level which is FC 16 with 40 CYA
    Thank you!

    - - - Updated - - -
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    157

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    SWG pools need more CYA to cut down on the "ON" time therefore making your SWG last longer than if it was on 100% all the time.

    If your pH is holding steady at 60 then you shouldn't need to increase TA, but that is as low as you can go. If your pH is decreasing then you definately need to increase TA until it holds steady.

    Water is safe to swim in up to "shock" levels which is 16ppm at that CYA level. You are far from that at 4.5ppm FC.

    No need to worry about CH with a vinyl pool. You are lucky to have a CH that low.

    Your CSI is likey in the negatives because your CH is low. No need to worry about it.

    Borates are optional. No need to worry about them until you get used to running your pool.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

  7. Back To Top    #7
    *JLS*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Georgia
    Posts
    60

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smackdab View Post
    SWG pools need more CYA to cut down on the "ON" time therefore making your SWG last longer than if it was on 100% all the time.

    If your pH is holding steady at 60 then you shouldn't need to increase TA, but that is as low as you can go. If your pH is decreasing then you definately need to increase TA until it holds steady.


    Water is safe to swim in up to "shock" levels which is 16ppm at that CYA level. You are far from that at 4.5ppm FC.

    No need to worry about CH with a vinyl pool. You are lucky to have a CH that low.

    Your CSI is likey in the negatives because your CH is low. No need to worry about it.

    Borates are optional. No need to worry about them until you get used to running your pool.
    Thank you so much! You guys are awesome!
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Milton, Florida 32572
    Posts
    23

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Question about the calculator there where it ask for the temperature is that the water temp or the air temp outside?

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redline95240sx View Post
    Question about the calculator there where it ask for the temperature is that the water temp or the air temp outside?
    Water temperature. It affects the Calcium Saturation Index - ie growing scale on the walls.

    And welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Divin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Longview, Texas
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: Need opinions on Pool Math results!!

    i case you havent found them yet..... handy references
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock



    Quote Originally Posted by *JLS* View Post
    Thank you so much! You guys are awesome!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •