Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time pool owner / Pristine Blue convert

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner / Pristine Blue convert

So we bought this house last spring and it came with an above ground pool. I think it's 24' by 48" to the top of the skimmer hole?( I don't actually know how deep it's supposed to be). So I think that puts it around 16,000. At least that is what the pool store lady told me it was and to base my measurements off of. The previous owner used Pristine blue and I figured I would continue using it last year because it was already open when we moved in. I made the mistake of paying someone to close the pool in the fall and all he did was put the cover on and disassemble the pump and such. So I decided there was a better way and with two degrees and access to the Internet, all things are possible! I opened it yesterday and put it all back together successfully. A friend of mine put a pool in and turned me on to this site. I went ahead and ordered a test kit but he came over and tested my numbers so I could go ahead and get some advice. This is what I have:

Cya 20
    Fc .5
    Cc .5
    Ph 6.8
    Ta 60
    Ch 100

It doesn't look too bad, just cloudy; better than I expected! The pristine blue never pulled off a pool that looked as good as the stories I see on here though! I need to get the leaves out (my friend just showed me how to use the vacuum hose this evening which really helped). What do you guys think????

I've linked some pictures I uploaded to Flickr.
    https://flickr.com/photos/91789000@N...57651950864349

I also have a 200 gallon hot tub but I haven't decided to test those waters yet (pun completely intended)!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner / Pristine Blue convert

Welcome to TFP!

Credit where credit is due: the Pristine Blue is probably the reason the pool is clear. Copper is a pretty good algaecide.

But the negatives outweigh the benefits. You need to get an idea of your copper level to see if your water is usable. Have a couple of pool stores test the water for copper as a start.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper is at .7 ppm. I was also wrong about the volume. I was basing my measurements off 14000.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am also not sure how to get my filter apart. I think its a cartridge but I haven't figured out how to get inside of it yet.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you need some chlorine soon. Use pool math above to get the right amount, but my estimate starting at .5 with a cya of 20 is 72 ounces of 8.25 % bleach to be at 3.5 FC. Again pool math above will give you an exact number.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Did the pool math on it and it came back at 74oz of 8.25%. nice guess!!

7. Back To Top    #7

you'll find out that pool math is incredibly accurate as long as your volume is correct.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

So with a copper level of .7 will he be ok to switch to TFP without draining any. Or at least get by this year and let it come down on its own due to rain and splash out, then drain it for the winter and try to fix the copper level in the fall?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

So, what do I need to do about my copper levels? Anything? Should I add bleach and get my FC up? How do I check my filter?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes add 74 ounces of 8.25% bleach

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XprtCombatNinja View Post
    Did the pool math on it and it came back at 74oz of 8.25%. nice guess!!
    Thanks, I have ocd so I think I'm close to being able to calculate without the pool math
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

So, what do I need to do about my copper levels? Anything? Should I add bleach and get my FC up? How do I check my filter?
    Can you post a pic of your filter pump using photobucket?then we can tell you how to get to it.

As for the copper, I would want to bring it down or invest in a lot of swimmers shampoo. I have used metal free to bring down metals last year.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, add bleach and get the FC up .

With metals inthe water you will need to keep a sequestrant in the water to keep it from coming out of solution as stains on your liner or green hair for your blonde friends. Read Metals in the Water and Metal Stains in Pool School

Can you put up a picture of your filter so we can try to figure that out?

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    As for the copper, I would want to bring it down or invest in a lot of swimmers shampoo. I have used metal free to bring down metals last year.
    Is this something of what yours talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Chemis...rds=metal+free
    24', Above-ground vinyl, 14,000 gallon, 1HP 2-speed Jacuzzi Magnetek pump, Jacuzzi Brothers CFR75 cartridge filter, Tork EW103B timer, Hayward 100ID gas heater, Junior Pool rover T robot

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Is this something of what yours talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Chemis...rds=metal+free
    Yes it is.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

15. Back To Top    #15

So I was able to get all the leaves out with the vacuum and I added a gallon of 12.5% I found at Ollies for 2.99. I also man handled my filter open and this is the filter inside. The pool store lady said the previous owner installed a permanent filter, but I kinda wanna see what you guys think? Is this salvageable with a hose down?image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to note that green looking stuff is kind of gritty, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there:-/
    24', Above-ground vinyl, 14,000 gallon, 1HP 2-speed Jacuzzi Magnetek pump, Jacuzzi Brothers CFR75 cartridge filter, Tork EW103B timer, Hayward 100ID gas heater, Junior Pool rover T robot

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

If it was me, I would get a new filter.
    Lisa

17. Back To Top    #17

You can try hosing it out and see what your pressure is. If it is close to the dirty pressure or the flow seems low then get a new one.

Here is an article about cleaning cartridges, http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rtridge-filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

The more ive thought about it, im wondering if that green gritty stuff is actually copper that has collected in the filter from the pristine blue? I ordered another filter last night and i imagine it should be on its way soon. So my test kit still hasn't shown up and i can't say i've gotten an email that its shipped? What should i be doing in the mean time? i vacuumed up everything already and its pretty leaf free. i've been running the pump for 12 hours through the night.i plan on adding some metal free stuff this evening. what else should i be doing though? How much chlorine can i add if i can't measure my levels?

19. Back To Top    #19

For now I would add 2 - 3 PPM of chlorine each day until you get your test kit. Pool Math (link at top of the page) will tell you how much chlorine to all to get that level.

When you get a moment, please add the details of your pool to your forum signature. To change your signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Signature.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

20. Back To Top    #20

I see the details of his pool in his signature. And I think I would run my pump 24/7 until I get my kit. I think I would SLAM as well if it were me. As soon as I got my kit, just to be sure nothing is growing in there that you cant see.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast