Rust along entire bottom edge of Doughboy Oval - Is it safe to repair? Please advise.

Apr 18, 2015
Tiverton
View attachment 35983

View attachment 35984

It seems that the old liner had been leaking for the entire length the pool was installed based on the amount of rust around the edges. There are a few spots where there are small holes completely through the wall.The rust is approximately 7-10 inches from ground level up around the whole length of the pool.

Is there any way to properly repair that ground level rust, and safely install a new liner? Through my searches, I have found the best rust repairs typically use sheet metal and rivet in new sections while heavily duct taping the edges etc, but I didn't find any successful repairs of the whole bottom edge. Is it even safe to do the bottom?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Rust-along-bottom-edge-clos.jpg
    Rust-along-bottom-edge-clos.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Rust-along-bottom-2.jpg
    Rust-along-bottom-2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 195
  • wideshot.jpg
    wideshot.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 197
Yikes. In my mind with 0 AG pool experience ... that pool looks like it has reached the end of its life. I am not sure I would want to trust it to hold all the water in when there are already holes showing.

Oval pools are more finicky than round because they excerpt an extrodanary amount of pressure on the walls than round pools do. This looks like an oval pool by the first pic... I'd say the life of this doughboy is pretty much over.

I'd also say that pool is a total loss, with damage like that around the entire bottom perimeter it doesn't matter if it's round or oval it's going to fail and soon.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I so much appreciate everyones input! In the meantime, I stopped in to my local poolstore and of course was told that it was safe to drop a new liner in as long as the rails and supports are good. In addition, no wall padding of foam coves should be used. Simply sand and rustoleum the rusty bits. That seemed SUPER optimistic to me..... What do you folks think? ;)

The TFP forum gives unbiased advice based on experience, and that is very refreshing! Thank you TFP!

Our responses will surely not change. At least mine wont. This pool needs put out to pasture. It's lived It's life.

The structural integrity at the bottom is almost gone. There is not much holding the walls into the lower tracks.

This is more than surface rust that you can try painting over ... the metal is gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The good news is, the site is ready for a new pool. Are you going to replace it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.