Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust along entire bottom edge of Doughboy Oval - Is it safe to repair? Please advise.

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust along entire bottom edge of Doughboy Oval - Is it safe to repair? Please advise.

Attachment 35983

Attachment 35984

It seems that the old liner had been leaking for the entire length the pool was installed based on the amount of rust around the edges. There are a few spots where there are small holes completely through the wall.The rust is approximately 7-10 inches from ground level up around the whole length of the pool.

Is there any way to properly repair that ground level rust, and safely install a new liner? Through my searches, I have found the best rust repairs typically use sheet metal and rivet in new sections while heavily duct taping the edges etc, but I didn't find any successful repairs of the whole bottom edge. Is it even safe to do the bottom?

Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust along entire bottom edge of Doughboy Oval - Is it safe to repair? Please adv

Yikes. In my mind with 0 AG pool experience ... that pool looks like it has reached the end of its life. I am not sure I would want to trust it to hold all the water in when there are already holes showing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Rust along entire bottom edge of Doughboy Oval - Is it safe to repair? Please adv

Oval pools are more finicky than round because they excerpt an extrodanary amount of pressure on the walls than round pools do. This looks like an oval pool by the first pic... I'd say the life of this doughboy is pretty much over.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't think I'd risk trying to fix/repair THAT much corrosion. Especially where it is.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd also say that pool is a total loss, with damage like that around the entire bottom perimeter it doesn't matter if it's round or oval it's going to fail and soon.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I so much appreciate everyones input! In the meantime, I stopped in to my local poolstore and of course was told that it was safe to drop a new liner in as long as the rails and supports are good. In addition, no wall padding of foam coves should be used. Simply sand and rustoleum the rusty bits. That seemed SUPER optimistic to me..... What do you folks think?

The TFP forum gives unbiased advice based on experience, and that is very refreshing! Thank you TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Our responses will surely not change. At least mine wont. This pool needs put out to pasture. It's lived It's life.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would be very afraid to swim in it, especially with it being an oval.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The structural integrity at the bottom is almost gone. There is not much holding the walls into the lower tracks.

This is more than surface rust that you can try painting over ... the metal is gone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

There is a big difference between "Super" optimistic and totally unrealistic here. Your is the latter unfortunately.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Consider the pool retired. thank you all for a reality check!

12. Back To Top    #12

The good news is, the site is ready for a new pool. Are you going to replace it?