Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does hard water prevent maintaining FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does hard water prevent maintaining FC?

My latest test (with TP-50) showed CH to be somewhere between 750 to 1000. TA is 140 but PH is within range and CYA is 75 (for swg). Every time I checked, a week after Clorox, FC is very low, almost to zero. I tested the generator by super chlorinate and checked the following morning and I know it works. I know the weather is like summer already but I have it run for 6 hrs with 95% output which should be enough. The water also looked very cloudy. Not cloudy as being dirty but as the water has a gray tint which I know the sign of high calcium in the water. In the past few years, after a swim, I would feel the stickiness, just like shower with hard water.

It's kind of too late to ask since I've already drained 2/3 of the pool (I realized I only had time to do it this past weekend) but I just want to confirm. I drained/filled 1/3 back in March but before that, it was never done in 15 yrs. I had been hesitated to do this because of my high water bill but the longer I wait, the more time and money I spent on chemical.

Thx
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does hard water prevent maintaining FC?

No, CH will not affect the FC.

As you are draining and refilling, have you tested the fill water to see what the CH is? With high CH fill water you may be back in the same boat soon.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope, FC doesn't care about your CH.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    No, CH will not affect the FC.

As you are draining and refilling, have you tested the fill water to see what the CH is? With high CH fill water you may be back in the same boat soon.
    Yes, it's around 200, which I think is the min requirement for pool and up to 400 max.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.