Is it normal to have CYA level drop?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
So I thought the only way to reduce CYA level was replacing water...

My level has been about 35-40 since forever, but yesterday, when I tested my water it was only 20. So I decided to drop a few puck of tabs in my floaters and slammed the pool.

CYA is consumed at a very low rate. Plus losses to splashout and backwashing and rain overflow.
And sometimes over the winter it get converted to ammonia and drops to zero, although usually in a neglected pool.

that's strange, I slammed my pool a few weeks ago, left it unattended for a week then had algae so I'm slamming again. For the most part, 0I only let my FC dropped to .5 for a few days, beside the green algae on the wall, the water is clear. Could there be something else wrong with the pool?

It is hard to see a low level algae outbreak. It is usually detectable by slimy side walls, filter clogging up faster, higher daily chlorine consumption. Then water gets progressively more cloudy. Then green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.