Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal to have CYA level drop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal to have CYA level drop?

So I thought the only way to reduce CYA level was replacing water...

My level has been about 35-40 since forever, but yesterday, when I tested my water it was only 20. So I decided to drop a few puck of tabs in my floaters and slammed the pool.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal to have CYA level drop?

CYA is consumed at a very low rate. Plus losses to splashout and backwashing and rain overflow.
    And sometimes over the winter it get converted to ammonia and drops to zero, although usually in a neglected pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

that's strange, I slammed my pool a few weeks ago, left it unattended for a week then had algae so I'm slamming again. For the most part, 0I only let my FC dropped to .5 for a few days, beside the green algae on the wall, the water is clear. Could there be something else wrong with the pool?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

The low FC allowed the algae to take off again. You need to repeat the SLAM process.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, if you ever let the FC drop below the minimum for your CYA, you could be heading for trouble.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Been slamming for 2 days first day i spiked my fc 15 today its at 12.5 im going to let it drop down to 10 and see what happens if needed ill keep it there for a couple days but so far i see no algae.
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

It is hard to see a low level algae outbreak. It is usually detectable by slimy side walls, filter clogging up faster, higher daily chlorine consumption. Then water gets progressively more cloudy. Then green.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, ill keep an eye out. Can i test cya while slamming?
    SF Bay

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. PH is the only test that doesn't work with high FC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach