Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemistry help

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemistry help

New plaster Jan 2015 similar to Pebble Tech (new to pools and need a little hand holding).
    TF-100 test results
    CYA 0
    CL less than .5
    PH 8.2
    CDT not pink zero chLorien
    CC 0
    CH 400 blue but red dots still present
    TA 90-100 turned red then green

Obviously chemicals and chlorine are not right. We have brown/yellow spots in pool, some will brush away.
    Was going to slam pool but my numbers are horrible. Where do I start???

Fyi we have had several inches of rain in the last month and we are still learning how to properly operate a pool.
    Approx. 27k gallon pool square diving pool, vs pump, 100sqft filter, offline chlorination tube suction cleaner. New plaster/and remodel Jan 2015 micro fusion (close to pebletec)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemistry help

Welcome to TFP!!!

Are you swirling the water samples the entire time you are adding drops? Does not sound like the colors are changing like they should. You should add drops until the last drop causes no further color change and then that does not count.

Get the pH down!!! That is important with new plaster, especially when your CH is a little high.

Have you added CYA at all?
    Target CYA up to 30ppm and then start to SLAM .... after you get the pH back in the lower 7s.

Have you been maintaining the pool since January or was some company?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are some videos showing the tests that might help
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

Rule #1 never let your FC go below the min level for your cya based on this Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some basic introductory articles from Pool School
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I am also new to this pool thing, but have been playing with a hot tub and it's numbers since October. I can tell you though that investing in the speed stirrer really helped me with my tests. I was not "swirling" enough and my numbers were wonky!
    27 foot round 4ft deep AG vinyl. Hayward Sand Filter.
    Dr. Wellness Lifestyle x-12 spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need some acid big time to get that PH down. I concur with a date with SLAM is in your future. Until then I'd add 1 gallon of bleach to stop any growth right now. Again a SLAM is in order asap.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I added 1 gallon of bleach, it brought my chlorine up to 2-4. My plan is to lower the PH and then slam. How does this sound?
    Approx. 27k gallon pool square diving pool, vs pump, 100sqft filter, offline chlorination tube suction cleaner. New plaster/and remodel Jan 2015 micro fusion (close to pebletec)

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, sounds good. Here is the process.
    SLAMing Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach