High PH Low TA

This is my 3rd season on this site. I am a BBB success story. I came into this site 2 years ago with major chlorine demand issues which was basically caused by pool store chemicals getting my CYA to well over 100. I first stopped going to the pool store and adopted the BBB method. I was able to bring down my CYA slowly by lowering pool level way down at close and filling with hose water when needed.

Last season I performed the famed SLAM process and it worked like a charm(be patient people and listen to the expert contributors on this site). Once I finally got my chlorine to hold I was adding about 1 gallon a day and my PH was constantly rising to >8. Then I closed.

Now I just opened and was able to get my pool clear within 48 hours(personal record). I took my measurements yesterday with my TF-100 and the numbers are pretty much what I expected(good thing). Now I want to get my chemistry right but I am unsure which of the 3 trouble spots I should fix first. Here are my numbers:

PH 8.2 !!!
FC: 8.0
CC: 0.5
TA: 30 !!!
CYA: 0 !!!

I think I need to add Muriatic acid to bring PH down but I thought that would drive the TA even lower? I suspect the real issue is my, pretty much non -existent, CYA. I fought so hard to get it down it is hard to do anything to bring it up, but I recognize I need to add some CYA to stabilize the pool. I am just not sure which of these three to tackle first? Suggestions?

They can all be done virtually at the same time.

Start the CYA dissolving in a sock in the skimmer.
Add acid to lower the pH into the 7s.
Add baking soda to raise the TA up to 60-70ppm ... keeping it a little lower should help slow the pH rise.
After 30 minutes ... verify pH and TA levels.
After a week, verify the CYA level.

Adjust the pH now. Use Pool Math to figure out how much acid to add. Make sure you have your current TA in there as that will affect the amount of acid to add greatly. It's reading at 8.2, which means it could be even higher, but assume 8.2 as Now and use 7.4 as your Target.

Next, work on the TA. Target 70 ppm or so.

Get some CYA in the pool while you're doing all this. Target 30 CYA for addition.

POOL MATH, POOL MATH and more POOL MATH to calculate everything.

Ok, here is my update as promised. The first thing I did was use the pool math calculator to plug in my actual and target levels to figure out how much of each chemical to add. I first added about 4 lbs of dry acid to get my ph down while continuing to add my bleach. Then I added 6 lbs of CYA to get my pool to a target goal of 20(I am still scared to go too high). I did not do anything to address my TA. It has been a couple of weeks. My water temp was in the 50s at last post. Now it is 72. I just took fresh readings this morning:
FC - 6.0
CC - 0
TA - 95 ish
PH - 7.4
CYA - 20

Overall I am really pleased with my numbers. The pool math calculator was on the money. It is so empowering when the numbers go where the target and recommened actions tell you! I really feel like I finally have this pools number thanks to this site and all of the great advice. One other funny note. I went to my old pool store to buy some return balls and I took a water sample just for giggles. I did this when my chlorine was low and of course they wanted to sell me $$$ of shock and what not. I told him I had everything I need and he said, you are using liquid bleach, aren't you? I think the pool stores are catching on that there is a BBB movement. I feel so bad for them...not.
Thanks again! This is the best web site on the Internet!

TA

Great! If your pool pH slowly goes up like most pools you will be adding acid and the TA will slowly come down. We generally advice to ignore TA unless pH swings are just enormous.

Well, if you or anyone who feels the forum has added value to them would like to the site accepts donations to keep the lights on and electrons flowing.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/144-CLICK-HERE-to-Become-a-TroubleFreePool-com-Supporter!

Heck, it's lees than a normal trip to the pool store

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.