12.5% Liquid Chlorine Question vs. Stabilized Chlorine Tablets

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Here in NJ, finding a good deal on 12.5% at a pool store is hard to do and so is finding unscented bleach anywhere. Although today I travelled with a friend who switched to the TFP method to purchase the 12.5% at a very good price. Additionally I received 4 bottles or one case as a courtesy. I stocked up for quite a while. The total cost was around $4.60, including tax. Other stores sell it for $6 + tax.

Although the person at the store stated the following:

1) Chlorine is not stabilized so it burns off faster. Also to pour it at night when it is dark instead of 6 a.m. in front of the jets.
2) Over time is will ruin your liner.

My CYA level is fine and may need to be bumped up slightly. Does this not stabilize the chlorine? He recommended the tablets as they are stabilized instead of liquid chlorine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Cya stabilizes the Chlorine, TA is unrelated. Having the proper Cya is why we control it on our own. Having it correct gives any form of chlorine proper stabilization.

If you pour it in slowly in front of a good flowing return it will not hurt the liner.

My thoughts? That the pool store employee knows bupkis about chlorine and cya's relationship.
Now, the part about pouring it in in the evening/night is true in the extent that without sun beading down on the pool (which diminishes chlorine) you'll be getting more bang for your buck out of the chlorine you are putting in there. No loss to sun = more chlorine disinfecting power. That can be quite useful to know if you're battling any algae, y'know?

- - - Updated - - -

Had two stores in Eastern PA that sold 2 gal and 5 gal containers. Both have closed since last season. Found one store in Central NJ that sells 5 gal containers. A bit large for my needs. Memory is that is was circa $16 for 5 gal. plus deposit. Nice gesture to receive the free case. Does it have a date on it? Liquid, I've been told, can lose its potency and you might want to test a little more often to make sure it's effective.

Does it have a date on it? Liquid, I've been told, can lose its potency and you might want to test a little more often to make sure it's effective.
Yes, higher % chlorinating liquid will degrade quicker than bleach. Keep it in a cool palace, out of the sun.

The bottles will usually have a julian date on them for when the were bottled. Look for something like "EH15101" which would be 2015 on the 101st day.

- - - Updated - - -

Here in NJ, finding a good deal on 12.5% at a pool store is hard to do and so is finding unscented bleach anywhere. Although today I travelled with a friend who switched to the TFP method to purchase the 12.5% at a very good price. Additionally I received 4 bottles or one case as a courtesy. I stocked up for quite a while. The total cost was around $4.60, including tax. Other stores sell it for $6 + tax.

Although the person at the store stated the following:

1) Chlorine is not stabilized so it burns off faster. Also to pour it at night when it is dark instead of 6 a.m. in front of the jets.
2) Over time is will ruin your liner.

My CYA level is fine and may need to be bumped up slightly. Does this not stabilize the chlorine along with TA, which helps. He recommended the tablets as they are stabilized instead of liquid chlorine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
As has been pointed out, he has no idea what he is talking about. You are correct, you already have the stabilizer in the water, you don't need to add more with tabs. Now, if you are a little low on CYA and have tabs it's fine the use them. Just keep track and use pool math to figure out what each tab will do to your water. Vacation, yes - use tabs - but again know what they do. This is the basis of TFP - know what anything does to your water before you put it in.

The bottles are already in a cool dry and dark place. I have no idea on what the expiration date is. I looked on the bottles and there is nothing stamped on them. Even called the distributor and the woman stated that she has never been asked this question. The distributor did state that they ship out frequently to the place that I purchased the liquid chlorine. I purchased enough to last me a while, if not the whole summer. As I helped the employee stock up, I noticed that the cases were on a pallet and it had wrapping on it. The employee did state that the liquid shock had been delivered about 1 month ago.

As I suspected, the CYA is already in the pool and it has nothing to do with what he stated and stabilizes the chlorine. Boy was my friend confused. I always pour the chlorine slowly from each 16 ounce water bottle (that is filled) and pour in front of jet with a good stream. You can visually see the chlorine moving quickly down into the pools deep end.

Regarding the CYA, I was reading 30 as my eyesight sometimes plays tricks. It could be closer to 40. When I test the level this weekend, I will know better. This is the reason why I try to avoid Pool Store's at all costs. Unfortunately trying to find "unscented straight 8.25% bleach" at any store is difficult. I travelled to Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc. and could not find anything. When I came across this pool store and the price was right, I quickly stocked up on the liquid chlorine. This is a place where the rent is probably a lot lower then a retail store on the highway, therefore able to charge less.

Unfortunately trying to find "unscented straight 8.25% bleach" at any store is difficult. I travelled to Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc. and could not find anything.
The WalMart has it on the shelf. Every WalMart I have ever been in has it. I am having a hard time believeing your store doesn't have it. My store has two shelves of it in the laundry section.
k2-_fb1536b9-9cec-494c-a396-3e024c10beb4.v1.jpg

I get my 12.5% chlorine at Ocean State Job Lot and it's either Austins or Diamond Clear Megashock. In both , the date lot code are printed on the box (case of 4 1 gallon jugs). There is no lot code printed on the jugs. BTW there is an OSJL in Shrewbury NJ. Here in CT, they sell a one gallon of 12.5% for $2.99

The WalMart has it on the shelf. Every WalMart I have ever been in has it. I am having a hard time believeing your store doesn't have it. My store has two shelves of it in the laundry section.
k2-_fb1536b9-9cec-494c-a396-3e024c10beb4.v1.jpg

I did see this brand, although could not find the % of concentration. It was a little expensive. Close to $4 with tax. I was looking for something near the $3 mark. What is the percentage of concentration on this one? Looked at label closely. Maybe I missed something. The he confused me.

At least we have gas which is less expensive. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did see this brand, although could not find the % of concentration. It was a little expensive. Close to $4 with tax. I was looking for something near the $3 mark. What is the percentage of concentration on this one? Looked at label closely. Maybe I missed something. The he confused me.

That bleach is $3.00 all over the country as far as I know, Perhaps it's different up there. Still, Bleach is bleach, it's the concentration that's different. The concentration of that one is 8.25%, as are most regular Bleaches now, save the really cheap off brands.

You may have access to gas, but you won't be able to inject it on your own, so you will be having your pool treated in slug feeds. Done properly, that's fine, but slug feeds will leave you with gaps of low or no Chlorine. If it's overdone during slug feeds, that will be problematic. Also, without stabilizer at proper levels, FC residuals from gas are just as vulnerable to sunlight as any other form of Chlorine.

If you have a Food Lion, their brand called Home 360 is $2.50 a gallon for regular 8.25%

- - - Updated - - -

Also Public's carries 10% chlorinating liquid for 3.99 per gallon. If you ask at the service desk they will give you a $10 coupon off of $50 purchase which is 13 bottles at $3.25 each.

Patrick is correct, $2.98 to be exact on the price. It is in small letters, but it is marked 8.25% on the bottle. You have to be careful because they have a few similar bottles and some are not marked with a %.

Come south, SC gas is in the low $2's

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.