Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.5% Liquid Chlorine Question vs. Stabilized Chlorine Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

12.5% Liquid Chlorine Question vs. Stabilized Chlorine Tablets

Here in NJ, finding a good deal on 12.5% at a pool store is hard to do and so is finding unscented bleach anywhere. Although today I travelled with a friend who switched to the TFP method to purchase the 12.5% at a very good price. Additionally I received 4 bottles or one case as a courtesy. I stocked up for quite a while. The total cost was around $4.60, including tax. Other stores sell it for $6 + tax.

Although the person at the store stated the following:

1) Chlorine is not stabilized so it burns off faster. Also to pour it at night when it is dark instead of 6 a.m. in front of the jets.
    2) Over time is will ruin your liner.

My CYA level is fine and may need to be bumped up slightly. Does this not stabilize the chlorine? He recommended the tablets as they are stabilized instead of liquid chlorine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12.5% Liquid Chlorine Question vs. Stabilized Chlorine Tablets

Cya stabilizes the Chlorine, TA is unrelated. Having the proper Cya is why we control it on our own. Having it correct gives any form of chlorine proper stabilization.

If you pour it in slowly in front of a good flowing return it will not hurt the liner.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

My thoughts? That the pool store employee knows bupkis about chlorine and cya's relationship.
    Now, the part about pouring it in in the evening/night is true in the extent that without sun beading down on the pool (which diminishes chlorine) you'll be getting more bang for your buck out of the chlorine you are putting in there. No loss to sun = more chlorine disinfecting power. That can be quite useful to know if you're battling any algae, y'know?

- - - Updated - - -
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Had two stores in Eastern PA that sold 2 gal and 5 gal containers. Both have closed since last season. Found one store in Central NJ that sells 5 gal containers. A bit large for my needs. Memory is that is was circa $16 for 5 gal. plus deposit. Nice gesture to receive the free case. Does it have a date on it? Liquid, I've been told, can lose its potency and you might want to test a little more often to make sure it's effective.
    23,500 gallon IG plaster with pebbles, Pentair FLT FNS 60 DE (160 GPM flow rate), Pentair Model 320 in-line Chlorinator, Jandy Plus HP 1.5 HP pump replaced with AO Centurian 1.5 switchless motor; Aquacal Heatwave heat pump. Method: since 2012 transitioned from "pool-stored" to TFP! Get your test kits here: TFTestkits.net correct link for pool calculator: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by brauh01 View Post
    Does it have a date on it? Liquid, I've been told, can lose its potency and you might want to test a little more often to make sure it's effective.
    Yes, higher % chlorinating liquid will degrade quicker than bleach. Keep it in a cool palace, out of the sun.

The bottles will usually have a julian date on them for when the were bottled. Look for something like "EH15101" which would be 2015 on the 101st day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    Here in NJ, finding a good deal on 12.5% at a pool store is hard to do and so is finding unscented bleach anywhere. Although today I travelled with a friend who switched to the TFP method to purchase the 12.5% at a very good price. Additionally I received 4 bottles or one case as a courtesy. I stocked up for quite a while. The total cost was around $4.60, including tax. Other stores sell it for $6 + tax.

Although the person at the store stated the following:

1) Chlorine is not stabilized so it burns off faster. Also to pour it at night when it is dark instead of 6 a.m. in front of the jets.
    2) Over time is will ruin your liner.

My CYA level is fine and may need to be bumped up slightly. Does this not stabilize the chlorine along with TA, which helps. He recommended the tablets as they are stabilized instead of liquid chlorine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
    As has been pointed out, he has no idea what he is talking about. You are correct, you already have the stabilizer in the water, you don't need to add more with tabs. Now, if you are a little low on CYA and have tabs it's fine the use them. Just keep track and use pool math to figure out what each tab will do to your water. Vacation, yes - use tabs - but again know what they do. This is the basis of TFP - know what anything does to your water before you put it in.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The bottles are already in a cool dry and dark place. I have no idea on what the expiration date is. I looked on the bottles and there is nothing stamped on them. Even called the distributor and the woman stated that she has never been asked this question. The distributor did state that they ship out frequently to the place that I purchased the liquid chlorine. I purchased enough to last me a while, if not the whole summer. As I helped the employee stock up, I noticed that the cases were on a pallet and it had wrapping on it. The employee did state that the liquid shock had been delivered about 1 month ago.

As I suspected, the CYA is already in the pool and it has nothing to do with what he stated and stabilizes the chlorine. Boy was my friend confused. I always pour the chlorine slowly from each 16 ounce water bottle (that is filled) and pour in front of jet with a good stream. You can visually see the chlorine moving quickly down into the pools deep end.

Regarding the CYA, I was reading 30 as my eyesight sometimes plays tricks. It could be closer to 40. When I test the level this weekend, I will know better. This is the reason why I try to avoid Pool Store's at all costs. Unfortunately trying to find "unscented straight 8.25% bleach" at any store is difficult. I travelled to Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc. and could not find anything. When I came across this pool store and the price was right, I quickly stocked up on the liquid chlorine. This is a place where the rent is probably a lot lower then a retail store on the highway, therefore able to charge less.

7. Back To Top    #7

Unfortunately trying to find "unscented straight 8.25% bleach" at any store is difficult. I travelled to Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc. and could not find anything.
    The WalMart has it on the shelf. Every WalMart I have ever been in has it. I am having a hard time believeing your store doesn't have it. My store has two shelves of it in the laundry section.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I buy mine at Kroger grocery store, store brand concentrated 8.25% bleach. Plain, no scent, no splashless, no easy pour. Plain old bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I get my 12.5% chlorine at Ocean State Job Lot and it's either Austins or Diamond Clear Megashock. In both , the date lot code are printed on the box (case of 4 1 gallon jugs). There is no lot code printed on the jugs. BTW there is an OSJL in Shrewbury NJ. Here in CT, they sell a one gallon of 12.5% for $2.99
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    The WalMart has it on the shelf. Every WalMart I have ever been in has it. I am having a hard time believeing your store doesn't have it. My store has two shelves of it in the laundry section.
    I did see this brand, although could not find the % of concentration. It was a little expensive. Close to $4 with tax. I was looking for something near the $3 mark. What is the percentage of concentration on this one? Looked at label closely. Maybe I missed something. The he confused me.

At least we have gas which is less expensive. Thank you.

11. Back To Top    #11

I did see this brand, although could not find the % of concentration. It was a little expensive. Close to $4 with tax. I was looking for something near the $3 mark. What is the percentage of concentration on this one? Looked at label closely. Maybe I missed something. The he confused me.

That bleach is $3.00 all over the country as far as I know, Perhaps it's different up there. Still, Bleach is bleach, it's the concentration that's different. The concentration of that one is 8.25%, as are most regular Bleaches now, save the really cheap off brands.

You may have access to gas, but you won't be able to inject it on your own, so you will be having your pool treated in slug feeds. Done properly, that's fine, but slug feeds will leave you with gaps of low or no Chlorine. If it's overdone during slug feeds, that will be problematic. Also, without stabilizer at proper levels, FC residuals from gas are just as vulnerable to sunlight as any other form of Chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

If you have a Food Lion, their brand called Home 360 is $2.50 a gallon for regular 8.25%

- - - Updated - - -

Also Public's carries 10% chlorinating liquid for 3.99 per gallon. If you ask at the service desk they will give you a $10 coupon off of $50 purchase which is 13 bottles at $3.25 each.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    Also Public's carries 10% chlorinating liquid for 3.99 per gallon. If you ask at the service desk they will give you a $10 coupon off of $50 purchase which is 13 bottles at $3.25 each.
    is this Publix Supermarkets?

14. Back To Top    #14

Patrick is correct, $2.98 to be exact on the price. It is in small letters, but it is marked 8.25% on the bottle. You have to be careful because they have a few similar bottles and some are not marked with a %.

Come south, SC gas is in the low $2's

15. Back To Top    #15

I thought he meant Gas Chlorine!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

is this Publix Supermarkets?
    Yes at least the ones here on the coast
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Anyone in NJ in Monmouth, Ocean or Somerset Counties know where you can grab 8.25% at a good price? I am all over the place during the week, so it is easy for me to stop and pick some up.

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes at least the ones here on the coast
    thanks, I'll have to,check the stores here. As a stockholder I like to give them my business.....

19. Back To Top    #19

thanks, I'll have to,check the stores here. As a stockholder I like to give them my business.....
    Always ask for a coupon at the service counter, they seem to have them once a month. I love that store.

20. Back To Top    #20

Always ask for a coupon at the service counter, they seem to have them once a month. I love that store.
    Is it a coupon specific to chlorine?

I'm glad you love the store! They are totally employee owned and generally most are happy there which equates to a better customer experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast