Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Needs major work! (I think)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Needs major work! (I think)

So, we bought this forclosure and low and behold there is a pretty large pool in the back. Its about 16' x 44' True L in shape with a 12' deep end vermiculite hard bottom, liner in ground pool thats can either hold 25,000-35,000 gal of water (still going through paperwork that was left behind). I love the idea of having a pool and we bought this house to fix up and live in it. Filling it in is not an option I'm fond of. The problem is the bank Emptied the pool and it has been sitting empty (which i've read is a big no-no) for 3 years with no cover on it. From the looks of it half of the liner is torn a part and I'm pretty sure the whole vermiculite surface will need to be re-done. It does not look like the pool structure has shifted or floated out of place. My main concern is how much this is going to cost, now I know nobody on here will be able to give an actual price but I'm just looking for some rough numbers on what the resurfacing and liner instalation would be? I've never owned a pool and i'm really not sure what to expect so be nice I'll try to upload pictures when I get home from work.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Needs major work! (I think)

Welcome to the forum.

My assumption is the pool pump and filter, etc have been removed or you'll need new.

Just a WAG but to fix the pool and get a new liner maybe 5-7k. new equipment - 2k.

What condition is the decking in?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! We will be glad to take a look and give you some opinions.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The decking looks good, maybe a few minor cracks but nothing that looks major(to me anyway). They actually left the pool pump, filter, and heating system there. We will probably end up needing to replace all that like you said.Thanks so much for your input! That $ amount is kind of what we assumed we would need to put into it. I'm just hoping that when we get someone out to do do the pressure test the plumbing held up over all those years! Thanks so much again

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, welcome to TFP! Have you had a chance to look around and see what pool equipment you have? Feel free to post pictures of your pool project. We love pictures!

Edit: I see you have found the major equipment. What kind of filter is it? Its pretty rare it would go bad just sitting. As long as the tank is in good shape the internal parts can usually be replaced. Pump may or may not be good. You can briefly turn it on just to see if it starts. If the wet end is in good shape you can swap out just the motor if needed. The heater is the most likely item to need replacing. They don't just sit very well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll be back momentarily with some pics, we currently live right down the street, and to be honest with you I have no clue what I'm looking at so I'll get pictures! The people before us also had a hot tub hooked up in there basement (seems odd) so I'm confused with what equipment might go to what, I'm assuming and hoping most of it's for the pool and not the hot tub.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are some pictures. The bank put that "cover" on it if that's what you wanna call it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I did not try and turn it on, I'll leave that to a professional, I'll end up blowing the freaking thing up.

9. Back To Top    #9

So judging from the Pictures i've provided, I would assume you guys agree that the whole inside of the pool would have to be resurafaced? I'm worried about the cement around the pool also, which is the first pic.I took a closer look a seems a little separated from grass, do you think it the surouding cement will need to be ripped up as well?

- - - Updated - - -

i'm a little concerned that it might actually be more cost efficiant to just fill it in.... but I really dont want to do that

10. Back To Top    #10

Cost to fill in the pool will likely be more than fixing it. I was worried this was going to look very bad, from the photos you have posted it does not look all that bad, depending on if there is freeze damage in the equipment from it not being drained and winterized. My guess is also in the $7,000 ballpark, get multiple bids and don't be tempted to get a cheap liner, cheap vinyl liners may fail in just 3-4 years, where better quality ones can last over a decade if cared for properly.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Even though not attractive, this doesnt look all that bad to me.
    The walls of the pool from what we can see arent rusted though. The seem to be clear of any major errosion.

The vermiculite will need to be cleaned up, possibly some patches here and there. Removing the debris from the bottom will reveal if there is any major damage to it. Need some new faceplates for the skimmer and the light if it has one, and all new eyeballs.

I dont see anything wrong with the concrete. That gap you have leads me to thing that possibly there has been some ground settling at least in that area that may extend under the deck.

Looks to me like its worth saving and I would think 7-8K would cover it, providing there arent any underground or under deck broken pipes.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! Like I mentioned previously we have never owned a pool before and really have no idea what we are getting into. Thanks for the rough estimates it's give me a ball park when calling someone to come out and get estimates, and I certainly don't want to get ripped off!