questions about opening swg pool

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm planning to open my pool tomorrow. I took a peak under the cover and the water looks clear but I will have to add water to bring it up to mid-skimmer. I read the pool opening post but am unclear about a few things. I just started using the TFP method late last year after having an algae problem and want to avoid it happening again.

After reconnecting everything, how long should the pump run before I do my first chem test?
I was planning to brush the walls, floor and walk-in then letting the robot clean. Is this ok or should I do it manually? I did a backwash when the pool was closed.
When do I add the salt? I used to add it during opening then start the swg. Should I continue doing that or add chlorine depending on my chem result?

I will post my chem test results when I get them to ensure I'm doing everything correctly.

Thanks!

You just need to run the pump at least 30 minutes to ensure everything is well mixed before you test.
Running the robot is fine.
You should interdependently test the salt level before you add any. The SWG should remain off for at least 24 hours after adding salt.
Use bleach for the initial balancing of the pool.

Here are my chem results from this morning. Pool was opened yesterday and water was added.
I don't have salt test strips, so I'm using the swg number which tends to be pretty close to what I get at the pool store (the generator is still off). I'll be taking a sample to them to compare results.

FC = 0.6
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = 90
CYA = 50
Salt = 1400
CSI = 0.4

Do I need to shock the pool, or just use pool math to determine how much chlorine, salt and stabilizer to add?
The water is clear and fairly blue.

BTW - My pool has never looked so good at opening! In the past its been green and cloudy. I'm so impressed with the TFP approach which I used at closing!!!

What does "fairly blue" mean?

You certainly need to add bleach ASAP. Would not hurt to shoot for shock level and to an OCLT to verify there are no problems.

Will do, thanks. My liner is nearing the end of its life so its faded to the point where its taken on a blueish-green color. This makes it a little harder for me to determine the water color, plus it was cloudy this morning. Looking at it again now that the sun is out it looks like the blue I would expect during the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.