Connection to pentair sand filter

Jul 6, 2012
Ohio
Hi all. I'm in the process of replumbing my equipment pad. Original setup was all 1.5". I've added some water features and figured it was a good time to ensure the best flow possible.

So my pool builder installed a sd80 - with the 1.5" multiport valve (wish I'd know more at the time to request a 2").

The MP has both inside and outside thread fittings for the in/out ports. Originally the inside 1.5" threads were used. If possible- I'd like to use the outside threads rather than reducing down to 1.5" before going in/out of the filter. For the life of me though- I cant find the right size adapters. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What kind of impact on overall system flow efficiency will the 1.5" multiport and stand pipe have?

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking- some sort of propriatary fitting. The threads spacing and depth seems different than std PVC. I've checked the install manual and other online resources and can't find any reference. Seems strange.

Which filter and valve do you have?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Success! I think I IDed the union kit: Pentair 150119

One advantage is that using the unions allow you to open up the filter and inspecting/cleaning the sand yearly.

Yeah- I actually bought pnc unions so I could do just that. Would prefer unions on the filter itself. So my question is - where can I source these things (assuming they exist). Is there a preferred and well stocked place to contact?

Thanks again for the help. I'll take a picture of my masterpiece when it's all done. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is really funny..... I was looking into doing this exact thing with my Pentair sand filter yesterday. I didn't want to ask the forum until I got home and had another look at it. It is bothering me that I have 2" everywhere and is sized down as it enters equipment. Seeing the threads, I hoped there was a chance of upsizing the piping (like a threaded ID pipe). Looks like 1.5" is here to stay. I would like additional unions. I could use the Pentair ones on body, or put some inline for 1/2 the price. Thanks for the question and answers!

Yeah - the cost is a little crazy. Unfortunately I'm a little obsessed with stuff like this. My guess is that 95% of the time my system is running at a speed/gpm that is well below the limits of 1.5" anyway so prob not a issue. As a part of this upgrade I bought a FlowVis flow meter. I'm looking forward actually measuring real flow rates with different filters and pump speeds.

(lets see if my sig works this time) EDIT - it worked!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.