Another new house, new pool thread. Sorry!

Hello all,

We purchased a home in November with a 16x32 in-ground pool with an 8 foot deep end. Our local pool store has it down as being 22,000 gallons.
It has a sand filter & 1 hp Hayward super pump.

This is the first pool we've owned so even though I've been doing some reading on here since November, we have just opened the pool up and of course I have newbie questions. :)

We took a water sample to the local pool store & so far the only thing we have to add right away is 16lbs Alkalinity Increaser. Would this be the same as 16lbs Baking soda or is Baking soda more or less effective requiring a different amount?

Second, in the weekly maintenance the local store has advised us to use 3lbs turbo shock even though we are using chlorine tablets in the skimmer.

Third, the pool store advised us not to put the chlorine tablets in the skimmer & instead sold my wife a floating dispenser, saying putting the tablets in the skimmer would damage the lines going under the concrete?

Lastly, local pool store has told us that a solar cover would raise the temperature of the water & cause us to use more chemicals but everything I've read says solar covers help in using less chemicals. :confused:

Thanks for any input!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes that is the same as baking soda, but I would not add anything based on only pool store testing and their recommendations.

Forget the shock and the tablets ... they will likely cause a CYA build-up problem.

Well, they got one thing right. Do not put the tablets in a skimmer, unless you run the pump 24/7, which is a waste of money usually.

A cover will help retain the heat in the pool that the sun adds ... mostly helping at night. It may slightly lower the chlorine loss to the sun. They are sort of right in that when the water is warmer, more chlorine may be consumed dealing with any algae trying to start.

Now for the reading portion of our program :D

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also, I highly recommend you invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop listening to the pool store advice.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you. I have no idea where that city is ;)

pool_zpsd5gytrdr.jpg

After alot of reading & getting my TF-100 kit, I am finally converted over to the trouble free system. Just wanted to say thank you!

Any tips or ideas for landscaping without breaking the bank? :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.