New House! New Pool! Excited to dive in ;)

Aloha

May 4, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Aloha!

Last summer my husband and I bought our dream house, and part of that dream was an inground pool. The cherry on top is that it's salt water :)

We had to live in our travel trailer for about 6 weeks before moving into the house last summer, we moved in at the end of July. The previous owners just dealt with the local pool supply store to get their water tested. Although I want to figure out what I'm doing on my own, moving is stressful enough and for the rest of the summer last year and so far while opening the pool up this year, we have been following the guidelines of our pool supply store. Our pool (35x18) has never had a hint of algae and we really haven't had to buy much, however now that things are looking good, and we are all unpacked, I'm prepared to go to Pool School and figure out how to do this on my own without blindly following someone elses directions. Before I get started, can anyone tell me if Pool School covers things from a salt water pool angle as well?

Thanks! Looking forward to all that comes with living this childhood dream of mine :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Realize that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. The SWG just makes the FC for you every day instead of you having to add it with bleach. So the fundamentals in Pool School are all the same.

This discusses SWG specifically: Water Balance for SWGs

And these are a good foundation:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Make sure you get one of the Recommended Test Kits as it it a vital tool to have. The TF-100 is the best value and currently you can get free shipping from tftestkits.net with an addon ... like a saltwater test and/or SpeedStir.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thank you Jason, I've updated my sig with the information I know.
How do I tell if my pump is a 2 speed or variable speed?
Also the label on my pump says Purex Triton (company name I presume?) and then Tagelus (model type I assume?) Do I put both of these in my signature?
Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Testing sig

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.