Burned Up Pump - No Diverter in Skimmer

May 4, 2015
Melbourne
Hi there and thanks for this awesome site!

Pool company says that my pool ran low on water and burned out my pump so they charged me ~$400 for a new pump (I was out-of-state renting the home til I could move into it). Now that I've moved into the home and I've read some of the info on this site, I'm wondering why there is no diverter in my skimmer (which may have saved my pump)? I'm also wondering why the Pool company wouldn't recommend putting a diverter in my skimmer basket?

My pool is a 10K gall in ground pool with 2 lines going into the pump (main drain/skimmer). Underneath my skimmer basket is no diverter (space ship) and there is only one hole. My valves leading into the pump allow me to turn off the main drain or skimmer.

Would a diverter work in my skimmer basket?

If so, do I set my valves near my pump to keep both the skimmer and main drain open?

Thank you! BTW, I'm learning my chemistry, ordering my test kit, and I'll soon be free of the pool company thanks to you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With only one hole in the bottom of the skimmer, it does not sound like you have an equalizer line plumbed in so a float diverter would not help 100%. Although it would help try to seal the skimmer if the water dropped and try to pull from the floor (assuming you have that valve open too).

I would recommend you just not let the water level drop again ;)

Thanks guys! So if I set my valve (near the pump) to allow for main drain/skimmer pull (at some ratio as you describe) and my pool level dropped a bit, would that keep my skimmer alive?

FYI, I plan on keeping my water level up and monitoring the entire system....but I'm a worst-case planner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.