Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burned Up Pump - No Diverter in Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Burned Up Pump - No Diverter in Skimmer

Hi there and thanks for this awesome site!

Pool company says that my pool ran low on water and burned out my pump so they charged me ~$400 for a new pump (I was out-of-state renting the home til I could move into it). Now that I've moved into the home and I've read some of the info on this site, I'm wondering why there is no diverter in my skimmer (which may have saved my pump)? I'm also wondering why the Pool company wouldn't recommend putting a diverter in my skimmer basket?

My pool is a 10K gall in ground pool with 2 lines going into the pump (main drain/skimmer). Underneath my skimmer basket is no diverter (space ship) and there is only one hole. My valves leading into the pump allow me to turn off the main drain or skimmer.

Would a diverter work in my skimmer basket?

If so, do I set my valves near my pump to keep both the skimmer and main drain open?

Thank you! BTW, I'm learning my chemistry, ordering my test kit, and I'll soon be free of the pool company thanks to you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burned Up Pump - No Diverter in Skimmer

Welcome to TFP!!!

With only one hole in the bottom of the skimmer, it does not sound like you have an equalizer line plumbed in so a float diverter would not help 100%. Although it would help try to seal the skimmer if the water dropped and try to pull from the floor (assuming you have that valve open too).

I would recommend you just not let the water level drop again
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I keep my skimmer/drain valve set at about 80% skimmer and 20% drain. Just in case. We also have an autofill.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep the main drain open just a hair. Any more than that, the cleaner sticks to it.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! So if I set my valve (near the pump) to allow for main drain/skimmer pull (at some ratio as you describe) and my pool level dropped a bit, would that keep my skimmer alive?

FYI, I plan on keeping my water level up and monitoring the entire system....but I'm a worst-case planner!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you put in a float diverter ... having the main drain valve open some should help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!