Settings for my pool equipment - please help, I am confused

Hi,

I am a new pool and equipment owner and I am at a loss for the settings I should be using for my pump, heater, etc... I am hoping I could get some guidance

Pool:
  • In-ground12x24, 8ft deep end, 4 ft shallow - approx 13k gallons

Equipment:
  • Hayward Salt & Swin 3C
  • Hayward Pro Series Hight Rate Sand Filter
  • Hayward H200FD Heater
  • Hayward Super Pump VS SP2600VSP

Plumbing:
  • 1 1/2 inch
  • Two lines, one from skimmer one from drain

External electrical timer

Please consider my on/mid/off peak energy usage times:

• on peak (expensive) is 11am to 5pm
  • off peak is 7 pm to 7 am
  • mid is 7 am to 11am and 5pm to 7pm

==========

According to the pump instructions, it starts in prime mode, then switches to speed V3 for x time and then to V1 until power is cycled.

I would like to know
  • what start / end time to set the electrical timer to (how long total to pump for)
  • what RPM to set the speeds to and for how long for the pump (considering heating needs, salt water system, etc)
  • Other than setting the desired temperature for the heater, do I need to set anything else? Does it know to only heat when the pump (water flow) is running? I don't see anything in the instructions for timing - just temparature adjustment.

Here is a picture of the equipment pad (the gas and electrical for the heater are not hooked up yet)
pool equipment.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Take a look at this article in pool school to get you started: Determine Pump Run Time

You likely only need 4-6 hours of run time (assuming that is enough time for the SWG) ... and since your power costs vary, you will want to run it when the power is the cheapest.

Are you actually tying to run the heater all the time to maintain a heated pool?

You will just have to play with the pump speeds to ensure that the low speed is still fast enough for your heater and SWG to work.

Thanks for the link.

As a new heater owner, I am not sure what my heating strategy will be. What are the general guidelines/preferences most people end up doing for heating? Is it better to only heat when you want to use it, keep it heated all day, etc?

I have a pool cover and will use it at night. If I heat the pool to my desired temperature during a 7am to 11 am cycle is that generally enough to last the rest of the day? Should I also run it during the other mid-peak time to bump up the heat?

I won't know until I get used to our preference for temperature but I am thinking about starting with about 82 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.