Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water at Pump Steaming Hot - Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Water at Pump Steaming Hot - Help!

Just moved into a new house and have my pool all opened up. Had a professional come do it and everything checked out. Things seem to be running smooth and I have the pump set to run 16 HRS a day. I was away for the weekend and when I came back I checked on everything and noticed the water in the filter right before the pump was smoking. I turned it off and the water was so hot I couldn't put my hand in it. I ended up backwashing the filter thinking that might have been the issue. All seems to be working ok now, but I'm not sure that was the definite cause. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water at Pump Steaming Hot - Help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like the water flow was stopped somehow cause the pump to overheat. A dirty filter would not likely cause that though.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, 16 hours is likely WAY overkill on your pump run time. See: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! I'm not sure what could have possibly been blocked. Skimmers are all cleaned as is the filter basket right at the pump. I didn't change anything at all other than the backwash and its running well now. Anything else I should check?

I'll look into the runtime for sure as well, thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pumps heat up from lack of water flowing into the pump, not flowing out. Next thing to check would be bearings. But, usually you hear that.

Here is an article about pump run time.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach