Want a second opinion

May 1, 2015
Northbrook, IL
I opened up my in ground pool last Thursday. The pool company put in 8 gallons of chlorine to shock the pool.
I added another 8 gallons on saturday, but water is still cloudy.
Here are the readings from the pool shop
FC 0.71
CC 1.2
PH 7.3
TA 92
CH 140
CA 5

They said drop another 12 gallons of chlorine in there to shock it some more.
Is that what you guys recommend as well?

Thanks.

What is your CYA? Is that where you say CA 5? If it is, it needs to come up to at least 30. I highly recommend you get a TF 100 test kit and don't rely on pool store readings. Your CC is also high. How does your water look?

- - - Updated - - -

Wanted to add that you need FC. Use PoolMath to see what it says on how much bleach to add, but if your CYA is 5 you will continue to burn through bleach

Around here much you will find that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

They "usually" don't mess up the FC & pH too bad, so like Lisa said you need chlorine in the pool. But, you need something more important - keep reading......

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

I echo the Taylor kit suggestions, but think you need some chlorine asap. Go to pool math above and plug in what you have so it can tell you how much liquid chlorine to add till your kit comes in. Wait for your kit before adding cya as their numbers could be way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Based off of those specs, I'm guessing you need a gallon of 8.25% bleach to be safe.

I'm a big believer in High FC to clear a pool that needs it, but I feel strongly that the advice of putting in 12 gallons is careless. Especially without them knowing what the Cya level is. I think you care whether or not your liner gets bleached out don't you?

I'm a big believer in High FC to clear a pool that needs it, but I feel strongly that the advice of putting in 12 gallons is careless. Especially without them knowing what the Cya level is. I think you care whether or not your liner gets bleached out don't you?

Absolutely agree.....just put enough to keep you around 3 to 4 fc until your kit comes in. I'm thinking that is a gallon.

They said drop another 12 gallons of chlorine in there to shock it some more.
Is that what you guys recommend as well?

Thanks.

Nope. 12 gallons of 10% chlorine will raise FC in a 23k gal pool by 52ppm. And that is on top of the 70 ppm already added by the previous 16 gallons. That takes shocking to a whole new level! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.