Leveling Above Ground Pool and Pool collapse questions

Mar 23, 2015
Boise, ID
So I'm new to this and just put up an Intex 12 x 24 x 52 inches deep pool. I know the pool has to be pretty level. I have mine within about an inch. Then I was reading about the subject and ran into stuff about pools collapsing and failing. Now I'm freaked out that my design is bad. What happens when a pool has a collapse? Are there signs to look for that something is going wrong?

Here is what I did to build my pool. I used brick pavers for the the base points where the pool frame touches the ground. I made sure those were level with each other. Then I brought in road mix to level it up to the pavers and then I used to sand to cover that with and make the bottom soft.

Here are some images of my pool. I just want to make sure I haven't done something really stupid, and if I have, how to fix it.

IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0490 (1).JPG
IMG_0497 (1).JPG
IMG_0499 (1).JPG

I agree about the sand washing out because it always does. If you can, put in some cheapo drainage pipes to route rainwater around the pool. I did not do this and rainwater has gotten under the pool and the pavers have shifted. Live and learn I guess.

Keep an eye on it as the summer progresses. If one side starts to dip out of level, consider redoing the foundation.

Like the previous post mentioned, just need to keep your base from washing out. I have done this a few times with sand and I have never had it wash out as of yet... I use long galvanized spikes (look like large nails). What I do is put a 2x4 or 2x6 and kinda of make a sand box type frame using the spikes and large washers to hold the wood in place. On my first pool I put the sand on the a tarp and then leveled, once leveled I took the sides of the tarp and folded them up like a diaper and drove the spikes in. It worked great but keep in mind that I only had the pool up for about 7 months or so... but if you place a border in between your pavers you should be ok. The reason I mentioned 2x4's or 2x6's is that you can cut them to length to go in between your pavers or all the way around your pavers? Just a thought on some of the previous things that I have done. By the way nice green grass, I hope you left enough space for the mower ...

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing, I would measure (Which you probably already have) the base depth to ensure that you can measure it from time to time to ensure that you have not lost any of your base ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.