LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Anyone ever used Quikrete Hydrolic and then painted over it?
How long did you wait?
What type of paint did you use?
How long ago was it?
Has it cracked?

Drained pool and made repairs with Quikrete yesterday.
Now realizing specs online say not to paint over it for at least 7 days.
Not an option to wait. Anything we can use as a primer on the Quikrete to ensure the paint sticks?
Paint we are using is Insl-X Waterborne.

Workers on-site awaiting my word. So any info appreciated ASAP.
THANK YOU!

As you know, very few people paint their pools or have any experience doing so. As such, I doubt you will get timely responses to your very specific question.

The most I will say is that you should follow all product direction exactly if you hope to have the paint last as long as possible ... but still likely only a couple years before you will be doing it again.

The reason for not painting newly placed concrete is so that the concrete has a chance to cure. If it does not cure properly, the concrete can crack or spall and the paint may not adhere well and peal off. If the directions say wait at least 7 days, you should wait. To do otherwise is just asking for future problems.

The reason for not painting newly placed concrete is so that the concrete has a chance to cure. If it does not cure properly, the concrete can crack or spall and the paint may not adhere well and peal off. If the directions say wait at least 7 days, you should wait. To do otherwise is just asking for future problems.

Thanks for your input!

What I don't understand is that it claims to set in 5 minutes. Realize there is a difference between set time and cure time, but 24 hours later seems to be reasonable with such a quickly hardening product. The only thing the folks at Quikrete will allow from their mouths is "7 to 28 days."

Whatever the case, waiting is not an option. The pool is 6 hours from where we currently live and paint is going on today.

We decided on painting as the cheap short-term fix. Hope to get 3 years out of it, but if it's only a year, that's ok. We can shell out $1500 every year much easier than $10k for a replaster.

Just didn't know if anyone had crossed this path before or was aware of a sealant or something to use between the cement and paint.

The one thing we have going for us is that the paint can be applied to a slightly damp surface and to nearly any type of surface.

Fingers crossed!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.