Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add a booster to polaris 360?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add a booster to polaris 360?

Greetings!
    After a long battle with algae last summer, thank you pool store for not telling me about the CYA in the tabs!!!.... I have found you all and very happy with results. Now we are looking to buy a cleaner. I see the Polaris 360 does not need a booster pump, can one be added later if we think we need it? It looks like we do have a designated line. There is a separate jet, kind of looks like a crooked finger. Hubby thinks it may be an adapter that past owners added for their cleaner.
    Anyway back to the question- can you add a booster pump later if needed?
    38900 gallons ,IG ,Gunite, sand filter ( swim quip from the 60's), pump: Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP single speed, pool installed?? late 60's, re- surfaced October 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add a booster to polaris 360?

No. The 360 is designed to work with lower pressures and higher flow rates. The booster pump puts out higher pressure and lower flow rates like the 280 and 380 require.

I would highly recommend you NOT get a booster pressure cleaner as they are the most inefficient in terms of power consumption.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

UGG... I was hoping you wouldn't say that. So I should just use a 360 even if its slow? I looked at a Dolphin "robot' but the sides of our pool are too steep and it couldn't make it up- had a hard time getting out of the deep end too. I borrowed a friends to see how it would work.
    suggestion?
    38900 gallons ,IG ,Gunite, sand filter ( swim quip from the 60's), pump: Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP single speed, pool installed?? late 60's, re- surfaced October 2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you divert more flow to the 360? It is really not that much of a concern for a cleaner to hit the walls. If they are that steep, no dirt will settle on them anyway. You should still brush though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Typically how would you do that... divert more flow? Close off valves? Sorry to be such a dolt.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the 280 and love it. It only runs 2 hours at night at cleans great. It's pennies a day and beats vacuuming.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes you would adjust valves ... assuming you have them. Post up some pictures of your equipment plumbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    I use the 280 and love it. It only runs 2 hours at night at cleans great. It's pennies a day and beats vacuuming.
    You like the 280 better than the 360? Is it good for big pools?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes you would adjust valves ... assuming you have them. Post up some pictures of your equipment plumbing.
    I'll try I know I have a picture in an old post, for another question.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by babsh; 05-04-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: pict didnt post

9. Back To Top    #9

That picture does not show the pressure side valves. You would just need to partially close the valve that goes to your normal wall returns.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Attachment 35971
    Hopefully you can see the picture. The handle that's off has been fixed since this pic, but the rest is the same. Thanks s much for your help!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, I saw that picture ... the return valves are not in it (well one of them is) ... they are to the left.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

photo.jpgbetter?

13. Back To Top    #13

So, both return valves are completely open. Partially close the normal return (which ever that is) until the cleaner is moving around well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator