Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't prime

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't prime

Long time reader, first time poster. I opened my pool this weekend, used a net to get most of the big stuff. Got the pump running, and started to vacuum the leaves and other debris off the bottom. I removed the vac plate from the skimmer basket to empty it, tried to vacuum more, and pump lost prime from sucking air when removing vac. I tried everything (I think) to reprime the pump, and it won't. I blew the lines out with air to see if anything got behind the skimmer basket while emptying. I replaced o-rings on the pump plugs, and resealed all other fittings. I tried to get the pump going with just the skimmer line, just the bottom drain line, and both. Nothing seems to help.
    Any Ideas?
    Dave. 13,000 gal inground vinyl. 3/4 hp single speed. Hayward 300# sand filter. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool built in 80's survived tornado in 90's. Recently added (4) 4'x12' solar panels with solartouch controller. New to me 1999 Hot Springs Sovereign tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't prime

With the pump unplugged.....can you feel anything that may be jamming up the impeller?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The impeller spins freely. When I pour water in the basket to get it to prime, I can see it pulling the water I pour in but it doesn't keep pulling.
    Dave. 13,000 gal inground vinyl. 3/4 hp single speed. Hayward 300# sand filter. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool built in 80's survived tornado in 90's. Recently added (4) 4'x12' solar panels with solartouch controller. New to me 1999 Hot Springs Sovereign tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I found the problem. When pump is off there is a drip coming from the bottom of the band clamp the oring looks good but I will replace. Should I also replace the clamp. Any other ideas

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I am not at all sure that is your problem. Are you talking about the band clamp on the pump?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the band clamp on the pump. That is the only thing that I can see is leaking. Could that suck enough air to not allow the pump to prime?

7. Back To Top    #7

yes, most suction leaks are at the connection

8. Back To Top    #8

New o-ring same problem. Up next is the shaft seal