spanning skimmer throat?

Jul 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

What is the recommended method for spanning the skimmer throat when using 4" wide coping? I used to build pools, but we used deck-o-form or the old cast coping pieces that were larger.

I have seen references to a stainless steel skimmer bar - but I have never seen such a thing. Links would be great, or the proper terminology.

My problem is that I have a gunite pool with travertine coping. There is no expansion joint between coping and deck, so I am dealing with pieces popping off, and in some cases, pieces cracking due to the concrete deck expanding.

I have 2 choices in my mind pull the copping and slide it forward, or cut an expansion joint all the way around 1.5" deep. The skimmers were spanned with a large piece of ceramic tile, and the coping placed on that. It is solid, but will have to be destroyed to get the coping up. There must be a better way then this.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks - yes , I was hoping maybe someone had done a coping project. I am now looking at putting in thicker coping and covering my deck with some kind of tile.... Would love advice if anyone has it.

I just noticed, I have a signature that I never set... funny, never lived in Arkansas nor do i have any of the equipment mentioned...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.