Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spanning skimmer throat?

1. Back To Top    #1

spanning skimmer throat?

Hi everyone,

What is the recommended method for spanning the skimmer throat when using 4" wide coping? I used to build pools, but we used deck-o-form or the old cast coping pieces that were larger.

I have seen references to a stainless steel skimmer bar - but I have never seen such a thing. Links would be great, or the proper terminology.

My problem is that I have a gunite pool with travertine coping. There is no expansion joint between coping and deck, so I am dealing with pieces popping off, and in some cases, pieces cracking due to the concrete deck expanding.

I have 2 choices in my mind pull the copping and slide it forward, or cut an expansion joint all the way around 1.5" deep. The skimmers were spanned with a large piece of ceramic tile, and the coping placed on that. It is solid, but will have to be destroyed to get the coping up. There must be a better way then this.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: spanning skimmer throat?

Sorry I can't help, but most of us are owners and not builders. That said, perhaps a bump will get this seen by someone with more ideas.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks - yes , I was hoping maybe someone had done a coping project. I am now looking at putting in thicker coping and covering my deck with some kind of tile.... Would love advice if anyone has it.

I just noticed, I have a signature that I never set... funny, never lived in Arkansas nor do i have any of the equipment mentioned...

4. Back To Top    #4

Carlsbad, NM

I used a piece of 1/4" thick 304 stainless steel plate. I had it cut to size with a water jet about 18" x 12". I put down a thin layer of mortar, set the plate, and installed tapcon screws. I have flagstone for coping.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.