Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ok to close at shock level?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Southern In

ok to close at shock level?

Is it okay to close the pool (disconnect pump & put on winter cover) while we're still at shock level (12 for us)
    If we really should wait, how long should we wait
    Our instructions from the pool store didn't say anything about waiting, so I was caught off-guard when I saw it on here.

We have an aquador to install & I have 2 bottles of poly 30 that we got in July with the pool.
    (Never needed to use the poly thanks to BBB!)
    The water temperature is 76.
    I'm anxious to get the cover on because my husband has a business trip coming up.
    ...not to mention that there's a bean field about 30 feet from the pool that will be harvested before too long.
    16x32x4.5 AG Doughboy -- 14,000 gal according to pool store
    Hayward equipment -- 1.5 HP pump, 20 GPM/FT2 sand filter, & chlorine feeder (light feeder use to avoid CYA build-up)
    Testing equipment -- TFTestKit Guidelines for treating water -- The Pool Calculator
    Thanks for everything TROUBLE FREE POOL!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Covington, Georgia

Re: ok to close at shock level?

If your water is above 60 degrees still you should shock your water before you cover it. Algae wont grow once the the water temp gets below 60 degrees and IMO its up to the individual PO whether they shock the pool or not before covering

Covering your pool at shock level wont hurt anything
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Jamestown, ND

Re: ok to close at shock level?

I closed mine at 10 ppm and pool water was 65. I did the same last year and never had a problem!

Hope that helps.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: