Pump won't turn on after backwash?

May 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone! I recently moved and am now a first time pool owner.

Yesterday, I was backwashing my pool pump for the first time since I've moved in. I realized a part of the hose was caught and water was not getting through so I immediately turned off my pump. Untangling everything finally, I turned on the pool pump and found that it would not turn on.

Everything is stored inside a small shed. The switch for my pump would not stay up in its ON position like usual, I would flip it up and it would automatically flip back down. The light switches for the shed and pool however, would turn on fine. I reset the breaker and same thing, pool pump switch doesn't work, but lights are just fine. Any ideas what might be going on?

I have a centurion switchless motor pool pump.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Edit: Here are some pictures. The pump switch is on the right on the wall. The GFCI outlet (left) is working (plugged in my phone charger).
IMG_4414_zpswz2ikthi.jpg

IMG_4415_zpsk24qo1sy.jpg

Last edited:
The switch for my pump would not stay up in its ON position like usual, I would flip it up and it would automatically flip back down.

My first suspicion would be the switch is bad. They do break sometimes. Also a switch such as that will only turn power off and on. It will not act as a circuit breaker. (automatically turn power off).
Change out the switch and try it again

My first suspicion would be the switch is bad. They do break sometimes. Also a switch such as that will only turn power off and on. It will not act as a circuit breaker. (automatically turn power off).
Change out the switch and try it again

I guess someone in my home played around with the switch and it is now working again, but I will look into replacing the switch soon. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.