Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't turn on after backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Pump won't turn on after backwash?

Hello everyone! I recently moved and am now a first time pool owner.

Yesterday, I was backwashing my pool pump for the first time since I've moved in. I realized a part of the hose was caught and water was not getting through so I immediately turned off my pump. Untangling everything finally, I turned on the pool pump and found that it would not turn on.

Everything is stored inside a small shed. The switch for my pump would not stay up in its ON position like usual, I would flip it up and it would automatically flip back down. The light switches for the shed and pool however, would turn on fine. I reset the breaker and same thing, pool pump switch doesn't work, but lights are just fine. Any ideas what might be going on?

I have a centurion switchless motor pool pump.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Edit: Here are some pictures. The pump switch is on the right on the wall. The GFCI outlet (left) is working (plugged in my phone charger).

Last edited by cta2015; 05-03-2015 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added pictures

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump won't turn off after backwash?

If it is plugged into a GFCI outlet it may have tripped and has to be reset. That happened to me once.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Uploaded some pictures. GFCI outlet on the left is working, pump however does not.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I don't see your first post anymore. I am not sure if it is not the GFCI. I am sure someone will come along with other ideas
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    I don't see your first post anymore. I am not sure if it is not the GFCI. I am sure someone will come along with other ideas
    Sorry! Was probably awaiting approval while the post was being edited. It should be visible now. But thank you for your help anyway.
    15k gallon in-ground
    Pentair Hydropump, Centurion switchless motor
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Dolphin 9301PRO pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cta2015 View Post
    Sorry! Was probably awaiting approval while the post was being edited. It should be visible now. But thank you for your help anyway.
    See it now. Do you think the switch could have gone bad?
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Re: Pump won't turn on after backwash?

The switch for my pump would not stay up in its ON position like usual, I would flip it up and it would automatically flip back down.
    My first suspicion would be the switch is bad. They do break sometimes. Also a switch such as that will only turn power off and on. It will not act as a circuit breaker. (automatically turn power off).
    Change out the switch and try it again
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    My first suspicion would be the switch is bad. They do break sometimes. Also a switch such as that will only turn power off and on. It will not act as a circuit breaker. (automatically turn power off).
    Change out the switch and try it again
    I guess someone in my home played around with the switch and it is now working again, but I will look into replacing the switch soon. Thanks!
    15k gallon in-ground
    Pentair Hydropump, Centurion switchless motor
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Dolphin 9301PRO pool cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I guess someone in my home played around with the switch and it is now working again, but I will look into replacing the switch soon. Thanks!
    Glad it is at least fixed for now.
    Lisa