Resurfacing concrete deck

Soundy

May 3, 2015
Abbotsford, BC
We have a 32'x'16' in-ground pool with surrounding concrete patio that over the years has become very rough with weathering (lots of exposed crush), which makes it very uncomfortable to walk on in bare feet. Would be nice to use one of the rubberized products out there to re-finish it but those tend to be pretty expensive, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something to just resurface it... almost like a self-leveling product, except something that won't all run off (those tend to be pretty thin, and most of the patio slopes pretty steeply away from the pool). Can I maybe just mix up some fresh concrete without the gravel and spread it on smooth?

Depending on the damage of the patio, you can repair the deeper grooves with a hydraulic cement. At that point I would consider if it's in your budget some Convoy II deck coating...it is slip resistant and comes in a variety of colors if you like.

You can not simply mix up a thin layer of concrete and resurface an existing concrete deck, it will crack in no time and you will be back to square 1.

I think posting some pictures of how extreme this issue is would go a long way in getting the right advice.

Depending on the damage of the patio, you can repair the deeper grooves with a hydraulic cement.
The cracking isn't that bad, and most of where it is, we're thinking about breaking out and doing differently.

At that point I would consider if it's in your budget some Convoy II deck coating...it is slip resistant and comes in a variety of colors if you like.
Budget is blown this year, for a new sand filter. Otherwise, yeah, that stuff would be great.

You can not simply mix up a thin layer of concrete and resurface an existing concrete deck, it will crack in no time and you will be back to square 1.

I think posting some pictures of how extreme this issue is would go a long way in getting the right advice.
Not really "extreme"... just exposed gravel all the way around, but of course, very uncomfortable to walk on barefoot. It's nice and smooth right under the diving board where it's been protected :)

2015-05-04 06.48.40.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We just purchased a home with a pool and have the same situation with the pool deck. Very rough with weathering. The good news is the pool has a fairly new liner and pump. I'll be following this thread closely for advice.
Yeah, ours has a fairly new liner (I think 3-4 years), pump is older but in good shape, and we just put a new sand filter in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.