Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a way to plug a saddle clamp hole?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a way to plug a saddle clamp hole?

Hi,
    Well, my Liquidator saddle clamp finally cracked after 2 years of being in the elements. I got a brass barb and routed it through the pump drain but now I have a 3/8" hole where the clamp was. I used a #10 metric bolt which I threaded into the hole with a rubber washer that has it sealed for now but I am curious if there is a way to plug the hole other than replacing the pipe.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a way to plug a saddle clamp hole?

Joe, in the past I've approached this problem 3 ways:

1) Replace the pipe

2) Cut across the hole and glue in a coupling (the little bit of missing pipe won't harm the seal)

3) Cut a #8 rubber plug in 1/2 (vertically) and clamp it to the hole.

All 3 work, it's a question of what will be easiest/ best for your situation
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Well thats what I thought. Typa A personality tells me to change the pipe. Procrastinator in me tells me to wait until next year
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

I definitely hear ya 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have taken a 1/4" tap and tapped the pipe and then installed a 1/4" plastic pipe plug in the threaded hole. Make sure you use teflon tape on the plug to prevent any leaks.
    If you ever need the hole again just remove the plug and install the probe etc.
    Galveston, Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Brass barb is a no-no! Replace it by plastics.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.