Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greets from Canada's Wet Coast!

1. Back To Top    #1

Greets from Canada's Wet Coast!

Howdy all,

Not ENTIRELY new to pools, but still pretty green (pardon the pun) to pool maintenance. When we bought our house a year ago in December, the pool had already been closed down for the winter, and in the spring, we called their old pool guy to come open it up for us. By fall he seemed to have dropped off the earth, so we did a half-baked job of closing it down ourselves... now we've almost got it ready to go, about 90% through the chemical treatments recommended by our water test. Figured it would be a good idea to start learning more about taking care of it through the year!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greets from Canada's Wet Coast!

Another one from Canuckistan! Welcome, eh?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a GOOD test kit? Around here we all like the TF-100, but I'm not sure they can be shipped your way. Another option is the Taylor K2006 (with the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test) so you'll get the most accurate tests and you'll be able to determine exactly what your pool needs. AND what it doesn't need, which is just as important.
    First step is to read the Pool School articles (above right link) and get that test kit. Stay away from pool stores whose main goal is to sell you products.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll look into those, thanks. We just have the little bottle of test strips for now... we have a couple different local stores who sell the same BioGuard lines and have the BioGuard test systems. So far neither has been any kind of high-pressure sales, although one is generally a lot cheaper than the other.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Pool: 80,000l (21,000 USG) 32'x'16' in-ground concrete with vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

The TF100 can't be shipped to Canada unfortunately, but the K2006 is avalible through a certain supplier. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Welcome again, and enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

The ABC's of pool water chemistry is an excellent article to start with pool school.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Here is some introductory reading from Pool School.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    The TF100 can't be shipped to Canada unfortunately, but the K2006 is avalible through a certain supplier. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Welcome again, and enjoy the forum.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Fortunately, I live about five minutes from the Sumas crossing, and have a friend who lives in Lynden, WA, ten minutes down the road from there. Shipping isn't a problem
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Pool: 80,000l (21,000 USG) 32'x'16' in-ground concrete with vinyl liner