Help with setting the pool up for Winter

Hi all,

After some help with how to set up my pool for this coming winter.

Reading a bit on here, people seem to empty out lines etc but as we don't get to freezing point over Winter I don't think that's necessary here?

We turned the heat pump off 2 weeks ago and the water temp is now down to around 65deg.

I have reduced the pump running time right down to 4 hours per day, running from only midday to 4pm each day.....however I am now starting to get some algae build up along the sides even though my Chlorine levels are quite high? I think I will change the setting for the pump to run 3-4 hours in the am and another 3-4 later in the day so its not sitting still for long periods.

My test numbers yesterday before the pump turned on were:

FC 5
CC 0
Ph 7.2
TA 20
Cya 0 (My SWG doesn't recommend any CYA in the water?)
CH 50
Salt 3000

With the above should I be getting any algae? I would have thought with FC of 5 I should have been fine. My pool builder told me I need to have the salt level at around 3200, last week it dropped to 2800 and my SWG told me the level is low. The SWG manual tells me salt level should be 4000, guessing I should do as the manual says?

A few questions above I know.....but any advice on how I should have things set would be great.

Keen to have things sparkling, at minimum costs over winter.

If your salt level is too low, perhaps the SWG is only working sporadically or not well enough to keep the chlorine up. Do you plan on covering the pool-this will help you not lose any chlorine as fast, since you don't use CYA. I have never heard of a SWG advising such. What ever chlorine you're making is going to burn off and allow that algae to take hold if you don't put some in soon.
If you currently have algae you need to SLAM the pool, either now and be done or decide to ignore it over the winter and start when the weather warms again. But delaying will mean a much larger mess to deal with.

If your salt level is too low, perhaps the SWG is only working sporadically or not well enough to keep the chlorine up. Do you plan on covering the pool-this will help you not lose any chlorine as fast, since you don't use CYA. I have never heard of a SWG advising such. What ever chlorine you're making is going to burn off and allow that algae to take hold if you don't put some in soon.
If you currently have algae you need to SLAM the pool, either now and be done or decide to ignore it over the winter and start when the weather warms again. But delaying will mean a much larger mess to deal with.

But with the FC level sitting at 5, even after the SWG had not been running for around 20 hours, shows that Chlorine levels are fine?

BTW.....I see you are in Augusta!! I am looking to come to your neck of the woods to see the Masters next year....any tips on securing hot priced tickets? :)

BTW.....I see you are in Augusta!! I am looking to come to your neck of the woods to see the Masters next year....any tips on securing hot priced tickets? :)

Cash. A lot of cold hard cash. I've been for the past 10 years but sadly couldn't attend this year (health reasons) and I missed my beloved pimento cheese sandwiches on the coarse with a cold one. It is sort of a ritual.

Righto....update:

I have added more salt, which has my salt level up to 3600. SWG manual tells me it should be around 4000, but I haven't read of anyone been that high?

Levels are now:

My test numbers yesterday before the pump turned on were:

FC 6
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 20
Cya 0 (My SWG doesn't recommend any CYA in the water?)
CH 50
Salt 3600

Still have algae in pool and FC has been 5-6 the whole time?

Time to SLAM? Just not sure how I have got the Algae when the FC has never been low?

I want to shut the pool up for winter, but don't want to do it while there are tinges of green in there.

Argh.....went to pool store today to pick up the Liquid Chlorine, the have 20L 15-20% so good and strong. When I told them I have algae even though my FC hasn't dropped below 5-6 they said I need an Algaecide, as my Algae must be resistant to the chlorine.

I think I know the answer.....ignore and SLAM?

Argh.....went to pool store today to pick up the Liquid Chlorine, the have 20L 15-20% so good and strong. When I told them I have algae even though my FC hasn't dropped below 5-6 they said I need an Algaecide, as my Algae must be resistant to the chlorine.

I think I know the answer.....ignore and SLAM?

You got it! SLAM time for you.

If I have to go to the pool store to get something I get what I need and move on. I do not talk to them except to say "HI!" and "I got what I need"

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would get your CYA to 30 for SLAMing. You'll use less bleach at that point due to the lower shock level you need to maintain. Your shock FC level would be 12. You will still lose some FC to sunlight regardless.
After your done SLAMing raise your CYA up to 70-80 for your SWG.
Also make sure you run pump for a good 40-60 min's before you take any tests to insure your water is mixed well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.